Recommendation on cordless drill?

Hi,

I currently have a mastercraft cordless drill and the battery isn't lasting as long and the charger has seemed to stop working.

Instead of trying to replace both - I'm thinking it might be cheaper to get a new cordless drill.

I'm an average DIYer with little knowledge of carpentry so the drill will get the usual home-owner use.

Does anyone have any recommendations..??

(I've heard the brand names are good but not sure the 'better' one to get for the dollar spent...)

Thanks,

Best Answer

I work in construction and have used many types of cordless drills over the years. The mastercraft drills don't seem to keep a charge very long and are easy to break but are cheap to buy. Sears Craftsman drills are good and don't cost much more than mastercraft but battery life is average. DeWalt are expensive and I think overrated. Milwaukee drills are expensive and high quality. The best cordless drill I have ever used was an 18V made by Panasonic. The battery lasted longer than the 24V heavy duty DeWalt we had and it had lots of torque and was durable but expensive.

At home I use a 19.2V Sears Craftsman with the Die Hard batteries and it seems to work well.

It sounds like you are leaving your battery in the charger for too long. They tend to die quick if you are always leaving them in the charger all day or all night. Always pull them out after an hour's charging and they should do fine. Repeat leaving them in for several hours at a time, and they stop holding a charge in a week. Batteries almost always last for two years if they are treated strictly according to instructions.

It depends on what you are after. Mastercraft and Sear's Craftsman are middle quality brands that can do anything an equivalent drill from Dewalt can do, but I wouldn't take them out of a shop into a construction site. They break too easy.

Then there is capability. If you want something that can drive bolts and larger screws then you should look at a drill with a 1/2 chuck, at least 18 volt, and 400 or more torque. Craftsman and Mastercraft sell this for a hundred, Dewalt 200 dollars. But they are big, heavy, and clumsy tools.

If you are just doing drilling, smaller projects, crafts, etc then a 12 volt cordless with around 200 pounds torque is smaller, lighter, and easier to handle. Look at Craftsman nexttel or some of the smaller Bosch or Dewalt drills. Don't ever buy a cordless 20 dollar drill.

Best Answer * Get a new Dewalt 12volt Lithium Ion drill kit. It's small but powerful and comes with 2 batt, charger, nylon pouch. Many Dewalt dealers are also including a free battery or 12volt light with purchase.

This is the new Lithium Ion technology. About $169

*Watch out for this 5 year warranty a lot of manufacturers are bragging about. Milw,Ryobi,Makita - Read it! It covers manufacturing defects only.

DeWalt XRP batteries have a 2 year full replacement warranty. Tools have 1 year warranty that covers parts and labor.

Makita has little or no parts back up - switches/brushes can take 3-4 months in some cases. Ryobi is terrible for parts. Milwaukee is constantly switching battery/charger styles which means their older batteries won't fit newer tools or chargers. We have had many traditional Milwaukee users get very upset over this

battery/charger thing. Plus the good old Milwaukee Brand was sold recently to a Company from CHINA , you heard me CHINA.

We sell and service contractor grade power tools at our store. The new DeWALT

M12 series has been flying out of here. We also sell Milwaukee/Bosch/Porter Cable

but the top seller is Dewalt. The tool brand is important however the back up and support you get is what to look for should you ever have a problem - DeWalt is #1 on that. If other reading this have had or are now having a problem they need to visit the nearest Dewalt Service Center

Source(s): Tool Store

I don't know what your budget is for a new drill but if you want a quality drill that will do what you want and last for a long time then I would advise buying a Bosch drill. I had a Bosch 18 Volt 1/2" battery drill and that was the best drill I ever owned and I have owned about every brand ever made. This Bosch drill was stolen off of the truck or I would still have it and it would still be going.

This advise comes from actual experiences with different brands of drills.

• Nancy

I went to your link and it said there were no products to compare. Some of the better brands are Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Porter Cable, and Bosch. Any of these will stand up to daily use on a construction site. Lithium ion batteries will have longer life between charges, less weight and more power in cold weather. Some brands I would avoid are Ryobi, Craftsman, Skil and Black and Decker. These brands of tools are OK for occasional use but that is about it. They may not have enough power for driving long screws or drilling through steel.

If you're happy with your mastercraft, other than the battery issue, you can the get the battery replaced at Batteries Plus. Look them up for your local store. I had my oldest DeWalt batteries rebuilt there for $30 each. New batteries are $70! They have chargers there, too. I don't work there, I'm a very happy customer. Save the money on new tools of you aren't doing it all the time, or for a living.

Source(s): Experience as a cheap skate (that's what the wife says)

Like a couple of other people said, the Ryobi stuff is good value for the money. I personally prefer the Rigid stuff, but it's fairly expensive and really more than a home owner needs. I'd shy away from Black and Decker, I've had way too many of their tools just basically self-destruct on me, not to mention the fact that since I'm a contractor their warranty is null and void once I use the tool. Doesn't say much for their confidence in their own product.

Like yourself I needed a good DIY drill and I was told to try a craftsman from Sears. I wound up buying a craftsman 19.2 drill which came with 2 batteries and a charger. The batteries lasted well on to 3 years and I went back to Sears and replaced the batteries with their new 19.2 ion batteries which are fantastic. They are more powerful, last much longer between charges and are supposed to last 5 to 7 years. and cost about 20% more than regular batteries. My Sears 19.2 drill is now about 6 years old and going strong. I hope this helps you and good luck.

Richard

I bought a Porter-Cable 18 volt drill and circular saw combo recently for around 80 bucks. With 2 batteries, a canvas case and battery charger. They made a cabinet project in my laundry room a breeze. Porter Cable also has a really good line up of tools that work with the same batteries, but if you want extra performance or longer power, they also have specialized battery options.

Buy the biggest voltage one that you can comfortably hold, and lithium batteries are worth getting. If you can get one that comes with two batteries, that's worth it. The big brand names the pros use, like Makita and Dewalt, are really are nice but for most of us they're overkill and expensive. I've had good luck with Black and Decker and Ryobi, though I've had the B&D so long that things might have changed with them. Just buy a name you know, not the super el cheapo from some company you never heard of.