What is the true age of earth given the following information?

The two most widely accepted scholars on the subject of Earth’s age:

1. Archbishop James Usher (1581-1656) calculated the Annals of the World (1658 A.D.) that the earth was created 4004 B.C.

2. Dr. Floyd Nolan Jones calculated in the Chronology of the Old Testament (1993 A.D.) that earth was created 4,004 B.C.

Others scholars have calculated creation dates ranging from 5,501 B.C. to 3,836 B.C.

Additional culture dates:

-Anglicans: 5,200 years (creation to Christ), 7,200 total

-British: 5,228 years (creation to Christ), 7,228 total

-Irish: 4,000 years (creation to Christ), 6,000 total

Prior to the 1700’s everyone believed in a 6,000 year old earth. But three men believed otherwise.

1. Comte de Buffon- believed Earth was 75,000 years old.

2. Pierre LaPlace- indefinite, but a long time

3. Jean Lamarck- indefinite, but a long time

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

By the way, there was a scholar who preceded Usher by just a short time but somehow Ussher got all the credit. (I forget how that happened.)

Also by the way, Bishop Ussher's name is actually spelled with two "s" -- but modern spellings tend to show it as just "Usher". But those who know Old Irish would probably catch it.

Best of luck in your research. I've never gotten into that topic deeply.

==================================================

Your email is disabled so I will ask here: You look so much like my now-deceased fiancee (2001) who had a first cousin who was virtually her twin. Are you by any chance the cousin of Amber T. who attended Stanford Medical School till 1999? (Yes, it's a strange question but your photo shocked me. And sometimes it can be a small world. And if Amber was your cousin, we met at the pool-side barbecue her uncle had for her at her house in Malibu upon her graduation. And was it you that joined up with her to try to pass as identical twins for the Janzen campaign?) I'm just curious and won't bother you again. I'm still saddened by her passing and seeing you brings back mixed emotions.

Source(s): D.Phil. (Oxford)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1) Prior to the 1700’s everyone believed in a 6,000 year old earth.

Balderdash.

2) The two most widely accepted scholars on the subject of Earth’s age:

Please provide a source for this remarkable claim.

- Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/

• 1 decade ago

Ok, so we are going to ignore sciece that it was created 5 Billion years ago.

Most Christians believe that the earth is about 5,000 years old, but cave paintings in various mediteranian sites predate this number by almost 50,000 years. We know that humans hunted Wooly Mamoths which went extinct about 10,000 BC.

Given the information you are using I see no problem with sticking with 5,000 years old, but i prefer to think this is when the true understanding of spirituality was developed.

Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

The Bible does not state or attempt to state the age of the Earth. And there is ZERO scientific consensus on the Earth's actual age. Saying "roughly a few billion years" is not scientific. It's guessing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Also at one time, people believed that world was flat. Such questions should be settled by scientific evidence and tests, not men of theology making conjectures.

Are you the cousin of Amber T then? We need to know. It is so important to establish that. More important than the age of the earth.

Source(s): Bible
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The age of the Earth is 4.54 billion years (4.54 × 109 years ± 1%).[1][2][3] This age is based on evidence from radiometric age dating of meteorite material and is consistent with the ages of the oldest-known terrestrial and lunar samples.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Roughly 4-5 thousand years old, based on a literal interpretation of the Bible

Source(s): The Bible
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

No one knows the exact age of the earth and ANYONE can make speculations, BUT however....one can by modern means a test to the fact that as measured the earth is in the THousands range.....and not in any billions or trillions.....that is pure myth at best.

If i had to guess it is as old as it is......and by mans actual ability to test it again its in the Thousands NOT any older ......that can range from 6000 years to 600,000 years.....BUT NO man will ever know other then his ability to date it which NO MAN can do by modern means beyond the Thousands range...

SO for you who claim billions , it is just that a claim ..and no more at best a simple LIE !!

• 1 decade ago

4 to 5 billon years ago roughly..:)

• Sarah
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

About 4.6 billion years old

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.