promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 9 years ago

Can you use oil-base paint over latex primer?

It is a bedroom paint project.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes absolutely, there is no problem there at all. Other way around and you've got some issues. MOST latex paints wont bond properly to an oil-base paint/primer. Why even use oil-base paint? It's AWFUL. The latex paint products they offer now are just as durable if not more so than oil base paint, and in a bedroom it wont smell half as bad. Oil-base paint is a thing of the past and wont be around for much longer.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes you can, but you should consider using latex paint for a finish. Oil paint is a thing of the past and won't be available to much longer.( for interior use ) To paint latex over oil you have to prime first. Latex paint will adherer to oil primer (not oil paint ) just fine. you can also use a 100% acrylic latex primer over oil paint.

Source(s): 20 years pro painter
    • ?
      Lv 5
      5 years agoReport

If you are painting cabinets water borne oil paint gives a much more durable surface.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can you use oil-base paint over latex primer?

It is a bedroom paint project.

Source(s): oil base paint latex primer: https://shortly.im/2zN51
  • 4 years ago

You need to confirm this at your local paint store because it's been years since I've actually done it: If I recall correctly, whenever I've had to seal a damaged wall, whether it was banged and exposed metal wall corners or patched wallboard, I've used an oil base primer (in all the rooms) -- just because it's the best and I knew it would stick well to the wall and to any type of paint -- either water or oil based. Listen to uncle bob (above)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

First, I've tried high quality latex gloss several times. The finish (smoothness, gloss, durability, and strength) can't begin to compare with that you get from oil.

That said, I wouldn't use oil paint except on things like bookshelves, cabinets, doors, and possibly windows where finish (especially durability and strength) are important.

• 9 years ago

Yes, you definitely can. I've done it on trim in my house. As long as it's a good-quality primer that you can't scratch of with your fingernail, it will be fine.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago
  • J C
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

yes, you just can't paint it viceversa, latex over enamel

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.