Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 9 years ago

Can you use oil-base paint over latex primer?

It is a bedroom paint project.

Favorite Answer

Yes absolutely, there is no problem there at all. Other way around and you've got some issues. MOST latex paints wont bond properly to an oil-base paint/primer. Why even use oil-base paint? It's AWFUL. The latex paint products they offer now are just as durable if not more so than oil base paint, and in a bedroom it wont smell half as bad. Oil-base paint is a thing of the past and wont be around for much longer.

Yes you can, but you should consider using latex paint for a finish. Oil paint is a thing of the past and won't be available to much longer.( for interior use ) To paint latex over oil you have to prime first. Latex paint will adherer to oil primer (not oil paint ) just fine. you can also use a 100% acrylic latex primer over oil paint.

Source(s): 20 years pro painter
    • ?
      5 years agoReport

If you are painting cabinets water borne oil paint gives a much more durable surface.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

It is a bedroom paint project.

Source(s): oil base paint latex primer: https://shortly.im/2zN51

You need to confirm this at your local paint store because it's been years since I've actually done it: If I recall correctly, whenever I've had to seal a damaged wall, whether it was banged and exposed metal wall corners or patched wallboard, I've used an oil base primer (in all the rooms) -- just because it's the best and I knew it would stick well to the wall and to any type of paint -- either water or oil based. Listen to uncle bob (above)

First, I've tried high quality latex gloss several times. The finish (smoothness, gloss, durability, and strength) can't begin to compare with that you get from oil.

That said, I wouldn't use oil paint except on things like bookshelves, cabinets, doors, and possibly windows where finish (especially durability and strength) are important.

Yes, you definitely can. I've done it on trim in my house. As long as it's a good-quality primer that you can't scratch of with your fingernail, it will be fine.

• J C

yes, you just can't paint it viceversa, latex over enamel