Gay rights activist bludgeoned to death after evangelicals foster hate. Why doesn't religion get more respect?

A prominent gay rights activist, whose photo was printed on the front page of a Ugandan newspaper that called for homosexuals to be hanged, was bludgeoned to death at his home after weeks of death threats and harassment, colleagues said yesterday.

David Kato, one of a small number of openly gay campaigners in a country where homosexuality is illegal, was beaten with a hammer just three weeks after winning a court case against the newspaper. The victory prevented the publication from repeating stories similar to one in October that urged: "Hang Them" alongside a headline: "100 pictures of Uganda's top homos leak".

More: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/tar...

Favorite Answer

Did you read the article at ALL?! You're misleading and off-base.

Mr. Kato was attacked because 2 criminals were in the process of robbing him in his own home. There was NO anti-homosexual hate crime here.

How do they know? They caught one guy and have a second suspect on the list.

Interesting how you immediately jump to the conclusion that this was a hate-crime done by religious folks. Who's the intolerant hate-monger here? YOU.

I don't know what to say with that...Those who espoused a need for the bill and to punish sodomy with death should have their world cave in on them. Why? Because someone had that happen to them when Kato died. It was a hate crime and we need to find out what we can do to pressure Uganda to take this case seriously as well as get the UN to add sexual orientation back to the list of things to condemn and give it back its protected status

Georgia, take it from a reformed individual in this situation. it truly is plenty much less puzzling to choose what you do not understand and much less puzzling to spout your comments online without stressful approximately the way it is going to sound. That works, till God places you head to head with actual those which you start to care approximately and then locate out that those each and every person is gay. once you spot them as flesh and blood people who're familiar and first rate, you already understand how slender minded and bigoted you sound. mutually as i'm nonetheless uncertain relating to the marrige situation, i recognize that God continues to be engaged on me. He retains reminding me that what I mete out in the international would be meted out to me in heaven. God has a impressive poetic experience of judgment. it truly is why the pharisees would be judged extra harshly than the lady on the nicely. Why? because of the fact he first is going after people who could recognize extra suited and who do exactly not care to verify and bargains with them plenty extra harshly than somebody who's basically ignorant. So, i'm sorry to any gays or lesbians that i've got indignant over the previous couple of months.

• You do know that 18% of the population still hold to traditional beliefs.

"Large numbers of Africans actively participate in Christianity or Islam yet also believe in witchcraft, evil spirits, sacrifices to ancestors, traditional religious healers, reincarnation and other elements of traditional African religions.2".

http://pewforum.org/traditional-african-religious-...

Plus homosexuality is disliked by the African culture, do you honestly think that Ugandans just loved gays until evangelicals showed up in 2009? The article said evangelicals/ missionaries. Which ones, most go by a name.

What happened is unfortunate, but that doesn't give anyone the right to swing around in a circle finger pointed out. Perhaps you should think logically before reading an article.

There's religion, and there's religion that incites hatred and violence towards those seen as sinful, unclean or evil.

Five people have recently been charged in the UK for exhorting the death penalty for homosexuals.

(see URLs)

(quote from the article from the editor of the paper involved)

"After Wednesday's killing, Giles Muhame, the editor of Rolling Stone, condemned the murder and said the paper had not wanted gays to be attacked. "If he has been murdered, that's bad and we pray for his soul," Muhame told Reuters. "There has been a lot of crime, it may not be because he is gay. We want the government to hang people who promote homosexuality, not for the public to attack them. We said they should be hanged, not stoned or attacked.""

Oh, so hanging is fine, but attacking is not. I see. And how nice of you to pray for his soul.

Sigh.

Peace.

Maybe we should send the Phelps clan over there to show them how it's REALLY done. (Or just send them anywhere far from here.)

Why doesn't religion get more respect? Good question. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that religion isn't respectable? (Respect has to be earned, and the last time religion earned any was ... hmmm ... never, I guess.)

@Richard:

Yes, most of the time. Stalin, Pol Pot, etc.

This makes me so sad. Those people are sick.

EDIT - Not saying religion is wrong, just the criminals. My religion loves gays.

Murder is always sad, and I don't think there's anything that could justify the murder.

However, I don't think this should be used as a basis to attack religion/religious people. Instead, if in any way possible, the victim should be mourned, and condolences should go to his family.

I see what you just did there. You lumped every claim to a belief in God in to "religion" as if they're all the same thing. I've seen that done before. It is wrong every time.

Also, just because someone says it... doesn't make it true. You don't believe everything you see on TV too, do you?

"David's death is a result of the hatred planted in Uganda by US evangelicals in 2009," according to a statement from Sexual Minorities Uganda, for whom Mr Kato worked as an advocacy officer. "The Ugandan government and the so-called US Evangelicals must take responsibility for David's blood."

• kaz716

Jesus tells us to love our neighbors as ourselves, and to love our enemies. So clearly you're not referring to Christianity in your broad generalization of evangelicals. If an Atheist murders 100 people, should we blame all Atheists? Should we blame Atheism for Stalin's actions? (I'll even bet other Atheists are thankful we don't relate your ignorance to all of them too.)

Embarrassing fail.