Credit score and buying a house?

hi me n my hubby would like to buy a home! Each of our credit scores arent that great. I just started mine up about 6 months ago. But anyways... my husband has a student loan out (still owes 3 grand) and we are behind 600.00 (which we are paying it that 600 off tomorrow with our taxes) and I have like 3 things in... show more hi
me n my hubby would like to buy a home! Each of our credit scores arent that great. I just started mine up about 6 months ago.
But anyways... my husband has a student loan out (still owes 3 grand) and we are behind 600.00 (which we are paying it that 600 off tomorrow with our taxes) and I have like 3 things in mine but they are little things that never came in the mail for me to pay so I didnt know I had them until I checked my credit report. So Im paynig those off tomorrow too, 33.00 & 15.00 lol
Anyways.... my score starting off in the last 6 months is 550(i dont work though, stay at home mother, i have worked)
and my husbands is 552 (He works and makes about 2600 a month taxes included)

anyways.....how could we get approved for a home loan or is it even possible. And how much do you think? What do we need to do to help our credit scores. Like I said we are paying our debit off besdies the full 3 grand because we dont have more than 3 grand. But our monthly payments are 50.00 a month, not bad right?

what does your credit score determine when buying a house? Or are we just better off trying to imporve our score by buying a new vechical and making payments on that? Or what? I need help, never done this before!