Does anyone know anything about electronic relays?

Hi, I'm trying to do a simple experiment from an electronics book. The experiment calls for a relay with the following description: little spiky legs on the bottom in a standardized layout (8 pins) DPDT nonlatching 12V DC As a recommendation, the book suggested part# G2RL-24-DC12 by OMRON Corp. The... show more Hi, I'm trying to do a simple experiment from an electronics book. The experiment calls for a relay with the following description:

little spiky legs on the bottom in a standardized layout (8 pins)
DPDT
nonlatching
12V DC

As a recommendation, the book suggested part# G2RL-24-DC12 by OMRON Corp.

The electronics store didn't have this specific relay but did have part# G6A-274P-ST-US (by OMRON), which I thought I'd try as a substitute basically because it said 12V DC on it and looked like the picture of the relay in the electronics book I'm following. My little experiment, however, doesn't work and I was wondering if it's because the relay I tried is totally wrong.

Obviously, I know nothing about electronics but if anyone out there knows better perhaps you can tell me if the relay I got (OMRON #G6A-274P-ST-US) is too different and thus cannot be used in place of the book's recommended unit (OMRON #G2RL-24-DC12).

Thanks!