Anthony asked in SportsCycling · 9 years ago

Slick Tires for a Mountain Bike?

I ride a Trek 3700 with Bontrager LT3, 26x2.0" tires (according to trek's site) and I wanted to change out the back tire for a slick tire. What do I need to know? I found out they make slick tires specially made for mountain bikes but beyond that I don't know what to get. Will I need a new tube too?

Thanks.

• John M
    Best Answer

Get a set of Kenda Kross tires, work great on the road and can still handle dirt.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Kross-Plus-Front-Slick...

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Slick Tires for a Mountain Bike?

I ride a Trek 3700 with Bontrager LT3, 26x2.0" tires (according to trek's site) and I wanted to change out the back tire for a slick tire. What do I need to know? I found out they make slick tires specially made for mountain bikes but beyond that I don't know what to get. Will I need a...

Source(s): slick tires mountain bike: https://shortly.im/cdN3Y

You should go with Raleigh 26" X 1.95" Semi Slick Mountain Bike Tyre

Low profile tread pattern.

Will fit any standard 26" mountain bike rim.

Steel Beaded construction.

Max pressure 40-65 P.S.I.

Tyre Weight: 885g.

• M V

I've used Panarace T-Serv in 26x1.5 and they are a great tire. Also consider the Bontrager Comfort B series; slick center tread w/side knobs that are great for pavement and can take some dirt.

Anthony

All you need is the tire. If you intent is to lower the rolling resistance because you will be riding on the road, you should talk to your bike shop. You would want not only smooth road tires, but you would want the thinnest tires that you can get to fir your wheels.

Soccerref

• skeels

Bontrager Lt3

They make a street tread. I AM NOT AWARE OF SLICKS BEING AVAILABLE IN ANY OTHER SIZE THEN 20 INCH. If you are going to a street tread for less friction I fail to see why you would not change both tires and go to a smaller tire. Your tubes will work with smaller tires.

The tubes are most likely fine. Agree with John...Kenda Kross tires are the ones to get.

get a new 1