Sprained Ankle Hurts Worse...?

On December 13, 2010 I sprained my right ankle. It hurt for the first week or two, as I expected. After a while, it wasn't hurting me, but it was still slightly discolored. Within the past couple of days, it began hurting again. It's still sort of a yellowish/brown on my inner ankle (just below the... show more On December 13, 2010 I sprained my right ankle. It hurt for the first week or two, as I expected. After a while, it wasn't hurting me, but it was still slightly discolored. Within the past couple of days, it began hurting again. It's still sort of a yellowish/brown on my inner ankle (just below the bone), and the pain is worse than it was when I originally injured it. Sometimes it shoots up my leg, usually stopping at the knee and occasionally going all the way up to the hip. It almost always spreads throughout my entire right foot. I understand that sprains take a long time to get better, and it is my understanding that they never completely heal, but I don't know if this is normal. This is my first sprain. I'm considering going back to the doctor to get it checked out again but wanted other opinions as well. Thanks.

P.S., During the first week, I had my ankle wrapped in an ACE bandage, as the doctor recommended, and I kept it elevated as much as possible if that plays any role in why it's still causing me issues.
Update: When I first hurt it, I put virtually no weight on it for about that first week. Then after the doctor said I could stop wrapping it, I just sort of limped, still focusing pressure on my left foot. I had x-rays taken that day, and they said there were no fractures. I don't know how possible it is to miss a... show more When I first hurt it, I put virtually no weight on it for about that first week. Then after the doctor said I could stop wrapping it, I just sort of limped, still focusing pressure on my left foot. I had x-rays taken that day, and they said there were no fractures. I don't know how possible it is to miss a fracture, as I am completely medically challenged. One possibility that I thought of is the fact that it may not have been able to heal properly because I still go to school and have a job that entails standing the whole time. Obviously, with those two activities, I can't really keep my foot elevated too well. But I probably will go to the doctor soon then. Thanks for the advice.