Is construction management a good degree?

okay so im graduating in june and im going to anne arundel community college for 2 years to see if im fit for college, then hopefully transfer. I really want to major in construction management which they offer. With that degree i could be a cost estimator, superintendent well assistant superintendent first, inspector, etc. I have a wide range. I could do the dirty work as a project manager or more office work with cost estimating. My uncle was the superintendent of water and waste water treatment plane construction for pizzagalli construction. He didn't go to college but he started at the bottom, he helped build the Denver int airport right out of high school then he moved back to his hometown near where i live.

Okay back to me, i don't want to sit at a desk all day long, i like using my hands and move around. I would like to get into the waste water construction field or highway/road construction. Maybe bridge or skyscrapers but idk bout height.

Anyways my parents are advising against it, i know the residential construction is down, but commercial, come on, bridges roads, etc always need to be maintained. And according to the bureau of labor statistics, construction and its related field are supposed to be one of the fastest growing field in the next decade. well this is contradicting also the Maryland budget wast put out and there were 8 wastewater treatment plant upgrades from 5 to 11 million dollars in the budget in Annapolis and other cities. also construction management has on of the top ten highest average starting salaries

help i need advice

also i know i might have to move to where the construction jobs are which i don't mind outta college which is close to where i live.

but i worried how i will do, i know little about construction and nothing about waste water treatment plant construction, will i learn this stuff on job site or college?

Favorite Answer

Construction Management is a great education path and career path considering your interest in working on the types of "heavy civil" projects that you mentioned. Waste water, infrastructure, transit, and other types of public or public-private partnership work are the types of projects that will actually be moving forward in the years to come. If you are concerned about future job stability, this is a good direction to go, especially if it interests you. Definitely pursue a construction management or civil engineering degree. I would recommend getting an internship with a heavy civil general contractor while you are finishing up your degree.

Take a look at ENR's website. They always rank the top general contractors in the country (in terms of annual revenue). They have sublists for each discipline too. Top 500 Green Contractor, Top 500 Design-Build Firms, etc. They may have one for the top heavy civil contractors too. At least they did when I was in school. Go check out some of the websites of the companies on there. See what you like.

If you prefer to work in the field rather than in the office, you probably want to go the Supt. route rather than the Project Manager route. These days, there are more and more college educated people going into the field and being Supers. Try to get an internship in the field. Entry level after you graduate, you will probably be an Assistant Super.

Nobody knows everything about construction and nobody will expect you too when you start out. You learn something new every day on the job. I would definitely recommend getting your degree, but you are going to learn the most simply through your experience and time spent on the job.

Good luck.

• Anita

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/h8ChE

A Civil Engineering degree is MUCH tougher than a Construction Management degree, and career prospects (in normal times) are much better for Civil Engineering. Construction Management is an honorable degree, but it just doesn't compare. Florida A&M offers Construction Engineering Technology, which is halfway between Civil Engineering and Construction Management.

Yes, Construction Management is a good field long-term, though it can be hard to get your foot in the door unless you know someone.

You need to make sure you get a four-year degree that is either ATMAE accredited or ACCE accredited. Graduated of ATMAE-accredited degree programs are eligible for CTM "Certified Technology Manager" status.

In Maryland, University of Maryland—Eastern Shore, has an ACCE-accredited degree in Construction Management Technology. You're really better off going there right from the start rather than though a Community College.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

okay so im graduating in june and im going to anne arundel community college for 2 years to see if im fit for college, then hopefully transfer. I really want to major in construction management which they offer. With that degree i could be a cost estimator, superintendent well assistant...

Source(s): construction management good degree: https://biturl.im/b0eqQ

Construction management more than a good degree but it depends on your nature and your country (working location) status if your country construction is great and demanding construction personnel you are good to go. The other thing your personal in managing projects and personnel is a big deal . for mare see http://constructionproxy.com/

yes it is