Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 9 years ago

what is down syndrome?

my friend just asked me that

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Down Syndrome is a genetic disease affecting the 21st chromosome. People with Down Syndrome have a lower IQ and have a variety of other conditions such as speech impediments and poor vision. People with Down Syndrome are very joyful people and most seem to love music. They can be the nicest people you would ever meet and are very trusting and loyal people. They easily forgive. They do die at an earlier age but that doesn't mean they die young. I think the average is 50-60 years old.

Source(s): Brother has DS
  • 9 years ago

Down syndrome (DS), also called Trisomy 21, is a condition in which extra genetic material causes delays in the way a child develops, both mentally and physically. It affects about 1 in every 800 babies.

The physical features and medical problems associated with Down syndrome can vary widely from child to child. While some kids with DS need a lot of medical attention, others lead healthy lives.

Though Down syndrome can't be prevented, it can be detected before a child is born. The health problems that can go along with DS can be treated, and there are many resources within communities to help kids and their families who are living with the condition

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Down's Syndrome is a congenital and chromosomal illness involving trisomy 21, which is a tripling of the 21th chromosome. It involves characteristics such as mental retardation (which ranges from mild to severe), learning disabilities, short stature, heart defects, microgenia (a small chin), macroglossia (an abnormally large tongue), almond shaped eyes, gastrointestinal defects (Hirschprung's disease is common), congential heart defects, hypotonia (which is basically a lack of muscle tone), thyroid dysfunction, ear infections, and sleep apnea.

Source(s): Myself and wikipedia.org
  • 9 years ago

Technical Version: A chromosomal disorder in which they have 21 chromosomes.

Easy version: A disability in which people have a flatter face, learning disabilities and sometimes other disabilities.

Source(s): Personal Knowledge
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

mongolism: a congenital disorder caused by having an extra 21st chromosome; results in a flat face and short stature and mental retardation

search more information on google.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.