Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

Oral Essay on J.K.Rowling.?

I have an oral essay on J.K.Rowling.

Can you help me with a good introduction and the oral essay.

I have 5 minutes to present it.

Thanks

Favorite Answer

I would start with this quote:

"'It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default.' These words were spoken by the one and only J.K. Rowling when she gave the Harvard commencement speech in June of 2008. J.K. Rowling experienced her fair share of failures before writing Harry Potter and becoming the richest woman in the United Kingdom."

I would go on to talk about her divorce and extreme poverty. You'll have to do your own homework on that part, but I'll help a little: She's been quoted saying that at one point she was as poor as you can be without being homeless. At that point she had a daughter, who was the one good thing in her life. She also clinically depressed at that point, which is where she got the idea for dementors. Dementors in Harry Potter are symbolic of depression.

I would go on to talk about how she always wanted to be an author and end your oral essay talking about the series itself and how it relates to J.K. Rowling's life... the themes of the story (love, death, etc.), how her mother's death shortly after she started writing influenced the way she wrote about Harry's parents' deaths, and how the reason Harry has so many father figures throughout the series stems from the fact that she's estranged from her father.

She's really a spectacular author and a spectacular role model, so do your research well and be sure to do her justice!

Source(s): Major fan of the Harry Potter series and of J.K. Rowling herself.
  • kunkle

Essay On Jk Rowling

You mean a biographical essay? Your library probably has a set of books called "Something About the Author." Ask the librarian to help you. Rowling will be in there.

@C, you can "play off" that, if it's true. That's why she needs to go to the library first. JK Rowling says she wasn't totally destitute. She liked writing in the coffee shop. (I heard an interview with her from BBC radio.)

Her and her husband were divorced after the birth of her first daughter, she lived in poverty, she got the idea of Harry Potter when she was on a subway then wrote it on a napkin, she got rejected 12 times, until some published her, she soon then got married and had two more daughter and had 7 phenomenal classic books. (:

Instead of asking us for you homework do a search on J. K Rowling.. you'll find a lot of information. Look at anything that's about the real person.

Oh and remember that the famous often rewrite their own history to better suit their new improved circumstances and what they want the world to know about them.

Wasn't she a poor single mother sitting in a coffee shop or something writing the first book? Idk you could play off something like that.