Can't unhighlight text transfered from FineReader 10 to Microsoft Word 2010?

I've needed to transfer a PDF scanned text document to Microsoft Word, so that I would have the whole text quick and could edit it. For that purpose, I used ABBYY FineReader 10, utilizing OCR technology. When recognizing text pages within a PDF file, FineReader has an option to "highlight uncertain characters" (i.e. those which FineReader isn't sure were recognized correctly). I checkboxed that option, and indeed, some characters within the text transfered to Word are highlighted. This provides me the ease of quickly noticing and correcting them. The problem is, however, that I can't get rid of the highlighting at all if I wanted to have pure, black text. I've tried all solutions that have come into my mind:

1. Selecting the text and choosing "No Color" in the highlight tool drop-down menu.

2. Deleting the highlighted portion using Backspace (it does delete, however, whatever I type in at the place of the old text or right next to it, the new text is also automatically highlighted.

3. Selecting the whole text, choosing a different highlight color, and then unhighlighting.

4. Saving the document as a different Word 2010 (*.docx) or Word 2007 (*.doc).

None of these solutions has worked, and the highlighting is still there... There is neither no information on how to solve this in the User's Guide, nor could I find any using Google. Can anyone who has ever used FineReader tell me how to get rid of the highlighting in Word? I'm just desperate...

• R.F.
    Favorite Answer

Without looking at the actual document, it's hard to tell exactly what is happening.

The one thing that comes to mind is that are you sure it's text highlight? It could be the text background feature instead. They have the same effect, but they are 2 different things.

Select the text that looks highlighted that you want to change.

On the Home tab, in the Paragraph section, click on the icon that looks like a paint bucket spilling.

Click on it and select the "No Color" option.

This tool is actually a little tricky. If you have paragraph marks showing, and you've got the paragraph mark in your text selection and the background color doesn't change, try selecting only the text, not the paragraph mark, and try again.

You might not realize it, but Microsoft Word actually keeps somewhat of a history of your document in the file, even when it looks like there's nothing there and even when you have revision tracking turned off. One way you can see that this is the case is by doing a "Save As..." on a document you've been editing for a while. You'll find that the new version of the file, the version that has all the archival data purged, is often dramatically smaller than the original. Sneaky, eh? Now, the challenge is how to access that data. What you need to do is enable document conversion on open. In Microsoft Office XP, that's done by creating a blank document (so you can get to the Options preference, otherwise it's grayed out), then selecting Tools --> Options and clicking on the General tab. Select the Confirm conversion at Open option (it's right by the mouse cursor) and click "OK". Now open up the file with the missing text and you'll be asked if you want to use a converter: There are lots of choices, but I've highlighted the one you want: Recover Text from Any File. Click "OK" and you'll see lots of junk, typographical notations, and other miscellany. In the middle of it, however, you should be able to find all your missing text. When I deleted some text from my test file and did this procedure, here's what I saw: )))))::::??????////// ------(((**\\\\\ etc. The text from "Dave Taylor says:" to the bottom of the page was all deleted from the file, then the file was saved to disk. Theoretically it should have vanished, but it's still there and I was able to recover it. Hopefully this will get you back your missing prose! Good luck.