Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 9 years ago

Derek Jeter Question?

if they say his range is declining why put him in the outfield i just don't see it i allready think him & cashman hate each other now but remember this if Jeter want Cashman gone i think it would probaly happen cause Jeter has that kinda power cause you get that when your the captain & led them to 5 world series wins & when your the heart & soul of New York

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Jeter's lack of range at shortstop doesn't mean that he can't play center. Range has to do with first-step quickness, which is what helps infielders get to ground balls, especially shorstops. Jeter has lost that first step over the past several years, but still runs very well, and still has a very good arm. He would make a good centerfielder if moved there.

Jeter is not the type of player who will want someone gone just because he doesn't like them. I'm sure Jeter is not happy with Cashman right now. Cashman made Jeter look greedy, then opened his mouth about moving Jeter to center, but Jeter is a class act and will have a great year.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Okay, first of all, Cashman never said he was going to move Jeter, he said that if in the future if Jeter WAS to EVER make a position change it would be to the OF..

Besides, Cashman will be gone after this season, he wants to manage a small market team.

• 9 years ago

It could be that Jeter would be an asset in the outfield for them at the present time /He is a gifted baseball player and possesses a good arm / There is also the possibility that the Yankees have prospects that are a little faster now and cover the SS area a little better . I do not think it is a permanent move away from SS but it might give NY another option and another bat to their lineup in which would make them stronger .

• 9 years ago

derek jeter is not moving to the outfield, brian cashman was mis understood

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • David
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Derek Jeter is NOT moving to the outfield. If anything, once someone else is ready to take over at shortstop, I could see him moving to DH.

• 9 years ago

For those who don't remember back far enough, Ernie Banks was a great shortstop who finished his career at 1st, no dh in those days. As far as Derek goes, I must be missing something because I can't see that he's lost the ability to play short.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's not so far-fetched. Robin Yount of the Brewers made that same transition very successfully in 1985, although he was younger (29)

• 9 years ago

derek and cashman look alike i think. but, jeter d. needs to keep his perfect arm and stay short-stop.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I am so sick of the people that say Jeter is even an average SS. He's one of the worst defensive SS's in baseball and has been his entire career.

• 9 years ago

In the OF you have a lot more time to get to a ball.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.