The_Dizzie asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

My cat had a URI can it come back?

So my kitten went through a LOT of treatment while we were trying to figure out why he had such a bad eye infection. Finally after treating him for a URI he got better. Its been about a week and a half fully healthy, but now he's sneezing and getting eye boogers again and im worried its going to come back. Can he catch it from his toys or bed he had when he had the URI? I brought a bed in he used at my work when he was sick about a week ago, he started getting the icky eyes and sneezing 3 days ago.

I still have some of his medicine left, could I use that to clear this up before it gets bad?

all the medicines they gave me had half a bottle left when I was done. So it wasnt a 'use it until its gone' perscription. I plan to call the vet, its just I've already spent over 1k trying to get him healthy I want to know WHY he is sick again and if I can do anything to prevent this from becoming a reoccuring thing.

Favorite Answer

The majority of URIs are caused by viruses that cannot be cured and that the cat will have for the rest of its life (feline rhinotracheitis and calicivirus). The antibiotics are simply to treat/prevent secondary bacterial infections while the cat's own immune system tackles the virus and it's not uncommon for young kittens to require multiple courses of medication before they improve as they do not have fully developed immune systems.

There's some good news though - firstly, as cats get older their immune systems strengthen and they are less likely to have outbreaks. Secondly, there are a few ways of boosting cats' immunity that can not only help them recover more quickly but also help prevent future URIs. If I were you I would talk to your vet about adding an L-lysine supplement to your kitten's diet and focus your attention on keeping him well-fed and hydrated.

Cats can carry an upper respiratory virus their whole lives, in which case the symptoms can come back when they are stressed. Six of our cats had URIs as kittens (which is how we ended up adopting them from the local feral colony) and a couple of them will have relapses if we move house or something stressful like that. Others have never shown any symptoms after they got better the first time, and it's been several years. One was so sick as a kitten - he was nearly dead when we found him - that he has recurring sinus infections, which the vet says he may or may not grow out of. The feral females who haven't been spayed yet often have relapses when they are pregnant. The ones who are fixed (including all of ours) had a little relapse after the operation because surgery can depress the immune system, but it was never severe and cleared up right away.

However, yours is probably still fighting the initial infection - it can come and go for several weeks, or it can go away more quickly - depends on the individual cat's immune system. For the virus itself, the best way to help the kitten's immune system manage it is L-lysine powder mixed into its food. I would avoid the gel formula, because it can have artificial sweetener in it and that can cause a whole new list of problems.

As for using the rest of the meds you have, ask the vet about it. You don't say what kind you have, but eyedrops or eye cream can be used again if they haven't expired - but it needs to be under vet supervision, because prolonged use of some of them can cause fungal infections or even tissue deterioration around the eyes. Liquid oral antibiotics should be tossed, but they're not very expensive to replace. There is also a shot called Convenia that is basically two weeks' worth of antibiotics - we've had some success with that, especially since you can't count on a feral cat to present itself for regular medicating.

URIs are often hard to kick, but in our experience, most cats don't generally have problems once they get rid of the initial infection, except mild, short-lived reactions to major stress.

Source(s): We have treated many cats from our local feral colony for the same thing.
  • J C

It's time to have the vet actually culture the secretions, and see just what is in there. It's called a PCR test, and while it's not cheap (the last one I had run cost me $230) it's cheaper than buying antibiotics that don't work. It may be viral - the PCR test will tell you that - or it may be that it's an odd bacteria that doesn't respond to the more common antibiotics. Have you been giving him L-lysine in case it *is* viral? That is definately in the 'can't hurt might help' category.

And no - don't give him the leftover meds. They lose their potency 10 days after being mixed, and are supposed to be discarded.

Source(s): many years of cat rescue (and URI's)

This is a long shot and hopefully others can provide feed back but a product that might help is Angels Delight. It is a non pharmaceutical mix of ingredients that helps to deprive the bacteria in tears of their food source, actually it does many other things as well.

http://bichonhotel.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=...

I do not know if it will help or not so please research it properly- I use it to prevent tear stains but it was designed to help with many different conditions.

I don't understand why you still have some medicine left. When a prescribes a medicine normally you need to give it to them until the medicine is finish. Looks like the disease is coming back. You will need to take him to the vet or at least ring him and ask them as he will need more medicine than the amount you have left.