As a disabled SSD recepient when will I see #1:COLA again #2 food stamps over $16 a month?

between Medicare I have'nt used and pay $96.50 a month for had my monthly SSD taken is this the land of the free?

Best Answer

1. You will see a COLA increase when the overall cost of living actually goes up. Over the past few years it hasn't, therefore no COLA increase is warranted.

2. Hard to say, you may have too much income to qualify for more than $16 a month in food stamps.

You may have misinterpreted "Land of the free". You are guaranteed the right to live your life the way you see fit. However you are not guaranteed an extravagant or even a particularly comfortable lifestyle if you don't actually work for a living, even if it's not by choice.

• Julie

The government's creative accounting is nothing short of fraud. I do not depend on social security for my expenses but I do grocery shop, pay utility bills, buy gas for the car, make other necessary purchases, have some medical expenses and I know for a fact that prices have risen in a drastic way.

Its a shame to treat the needy elderly people in such a way, they cheat them out of a few dollars while the politicians live the high life.

• Flower

I dont know what the question is. I am living on SS and no one got any increases for two years because Congress does not realize there are low income seniors out in the country who dont have pensions and investments and property and need that few bucks more a month. You have to make waves with your Congressman and Senator and let them know about our situation. They dont know.

I cannot get food stamps because my SS is slightly over $900 a month. I get most of my food from senior food distributions and food pantries.

The reason, unfortunately, you are not getting COLA's, is the governments covering their own butts policy. The government borrows by selling U.S. Treasury securities to investors and they pay interest on them http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/

The formula for COLA used(Cost Of Living Allowance) increases, based on inflation, allows the government to use "creative accounting" to deny inflation exists. The purpose is, if inflation occurs, the interest rate on the securities (money borrowed) increases. And they do not want to pay higher interest on the debt.

So rather than the government paying higher interest, the elderly and disabled are forced to bear the burden of inflation.