why wont ps3 play regular dvds?

It plays everything else just fine

Favorite Answer

hrm, sounds like a problem with your PS3's video or disc drivers. Since one of the recent updates, people have been reporting their PS3's either having trouble playing blu-rays or DVD's. There are a few steps I can think of that might fix the problem:

1. First off, do a system update and see if there's an update available. Sony's reported that they've sent out a bug patch to fix the problem with the video playback.

2. If the problem is the disc isn't showing up on the video menu, leave the disc in and reboot the system.

3. If that fails (or if the problem is the disc isn't autoplaying), try inserting the disc and keeping the video dropdown menu in sight. If a picture of a disc pops up underneath the "Video Editor & Uploader" icon, that's the DVD.

4. If all of that fails, I'd contact Sony customer support on their website and see if they can tell if it's a hardware problem. I doubt it's a hardware problem as you've said it plays everything else just fine, but you never know.

Source(s): My experience in dealing with a VERY picky and fickle PS3.

They all play DVDs.

......unless your DVDs or PS3 are from different regions.

dunno, mine does, but its an old 80 gb one, i dont no if the newer ones play regular dvd's

Because it has Blu-Ray!!

OoOoOoOoOoOoOo!!!

Fancy!!