promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

why south african white people speak english with an accent?

Im watching Invictus and I realized the white people in South Africa speak English with an strong accent, some sound like they can't even speak proper English. Can someone please explain to me why? What do the white people speak besides English over there?

Thank You

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Great question! Most of the people who live in South Africa (the white ones, at least) are descendants of Dutch and British people who traveled there in 18th and 19th centuries. They brought over Dutch and eventually, people in South Africa began speaking a language called Afrikaans. For many of them, English is not a first language; Afrikaans is, so speaking English to them is like speaking a foreign language. It's like when other foreigners speak English; there is mostly always an accent.

If you have any more questions, please email me.

- Greeny

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

South African Accent

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Most white South Africans speak English as a second language. Some of us don't use English often, so it's only natural that we would have a weird accent. And some really can't speak proper English.

Movies are not exactly the best source for learning what different accents sound like. There was some movie where Tim Robbins played a South African cop, and he sounded like some weird Russian. Leonardo diCaprio came very close in Blood Diamond.

• 4 years ago

White South Africans didn't all originate from England or other British Isles. For example, many of my own ancestors came from France, Germany, Ireland yes, etc.). For one, English isn't my first language, it is my second language (or first additional language) - as it is for many white South Africans. We don't speak English very often unless we speak it in a formal work setting, at schools or universities. Or when we get odd tourists asking about lions walking around in the cities (wink). So yes, many South Africans (white and others) will speak English with an accent (heck, even the English speak English with a South African accent and some clear South African words). Hope this cleared it up a bit!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

why south african white people speak english with an accent?

Im watching Invictus and I realized the white people in South Africa speak English with an strong accent, some sound like they can't even speak proper English. Can someone please explain to me why? What do the white people speak besides English over there?

Thank You

Source(s): south african white people speak english accent: https://shortly.im/f37kO
  • U Mad?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

There's 11 official languages in South Africa:

Afrikaans

English

Southern Ndebele

Northern Sotho

Southern Sotho

Swazi

Tsonga

Tswana

Venda

Xhosa

Zulu

More white people have Afrikaans as a native language than English, almost by a 2 x 1 margin.

• 4 years ago

south african white people speak english accent

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

South Africa is a british-common wealth country. White South Africans originated from England so they have that accent and whatever slang they picked up from that region.

• RR
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Well, from here in the hills, I can't understand anything someone from Boston says. We all have a regional dialect. My accent is pretty bad to outsiders. But, here, we all understand each other and use subtleties amongst ourselves. Same in other countries / regions. It is part of what makes us unique.

Source(s): Hillbilly
  • 9 years ago

The United States was never strongly involved in South Africa, so why would they speak like Americans? The white people in South Africa are mostly English, with also a significant number of Dutch. Therefore, they speak just like their relatives in the United Kingdom.

Source(s): The Boer Wars.
    • ...Show all comments
    • Nelia4 years agoReport

After the Anglo Boer War(s) (where England waged war on South Africa for gold, diamonds and power) (early 1900's), many English returned to England as well as during the 1900's. In the last three or so decades some (or others even) have returned to South Africa.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.