Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 10 years ago

How do i get out of depression?

I'm pretty sure I know why I'm depressed, and I can't fix any of it on my own, all I can do is do other things to try and get me out of it I guess but i just don't have the motivation too. Like everything in my life is going pretty smooth right now (i guess), but over the years when a lot of stuff was going on (which i didnt cause) i was in a "dont care" phase where i just let none of it bother me, or I just didnt understand it (I'm a teen). But now its all hitting me like a brick wall and it basically started at the beginning of this school year. The only thing that was keeping me "decent" thru the fall was working out and eating good (which I did most of last year except the summer). But now I've lost all motivation to work out and have been eating crap lately, as well as not giving a damn about after school sports, ive been counting down till this sport's season is over. I'm also currently single, and don't plan on really having a girlfriend, itd be nice but i realized i cant connect with like anybody (girls and boys, i'm straight its just im saying this statement on a friend level) except a couple friends but sometimes i just dont feel connected really i just hang out and talk to them cause i don't really have a choice. Reason is, is because I can't deal with the ignorance and stupidity they show in what they do, for example they complain about how their parents punish them when they clearly did something wrong and they just ignore that fact, or how teenagers just thro the word "love" around as if it were a ball (lol really bad analogy, i cant think of anything good, but its pretty self explanatory). Also the stupid thought processing and stupid convos that most people have, I just can't connect to any of that, I'm almost on a different level than them (and thats not in a arrogant way). And some examples specifically to girls, how obnoxious and annoying a lot of them are, and how they always complain about how much of "pigs" guys are and yet they throw themselves at a bunch of pigs i guess. Theres a bunch of other examples, bottom line all of that just annoys me, thus is why I only hav like 2 friends that I can really connect with fine, about a handful that are alright but sometimes annoy me, and the rest i just talk to or hang out with cause theres really no choice because mostly everyone is the same way, following the crowd and what not.

Anyway thats why lately I just think about the future and can't live in the now cause it just angers me too much. I just think about college, and working to get a successful job so I can actually enjoy life. And last year one of the friends that i can actually connect with, all he would talk about and still does is the future and what not, and then i would say how about you live in the now, but now i understand why, cause he's just as screwed up as me.

Some other things, everything is a hassle to do, i don't really care about school (i manage to get high test grades), been eating a lot (not overweight though), can't get to sleep every couple of nights and i have to take sleeping pills to actually get to sleep, and I don't really have anything to look forward to except getting the hell out of high school and moving on in my life (going to college and meetin new people) but im not even half done. How do i get out of this slump and actually live in the now and enjoy it?

Some other quick facts:

I recently been into philosophy

I watch a lot of history channel

I despise organized religion and despise the anti-reason that some people posses, i can understand believing in a deity but the fact that people think they can't eat meat on fridays or eat dairy with meat or that they have to pray three times a day facing "holy ground" just angers me (I go back and forth between agnostic and atheist)

I like science (not school science though) and history

Samuel:

Dont try and put it nicely, I could care less, i like when people dont sugar coat and are straight up and honest. I respect your opinion, but honestly don't care about it cause its not me that has to mature, ive dont enough maturing, you need to mature. And i have a life, and im just getting pissed off with it.

Favorite Answer

Hi there,

Personally, I found that with my Depression, only Anti Depressants helped. You may find you go through several until you find 'The One'.

Things one can do to help with Depression...

Other things you could do are simple things like making sure you get plenty of sleep. A nice cup of hot cocoa made with milk can naturally make you tired. Drink plenty of water throughout the day and if you are like me and don't like water, drink flavoured water. Develop a positive attitude. Look at yourself in the mirror and repeat to yourself "I am a good person", "I can beat my Depression", "It doesn't own me". Make sure you look good every time you go out. For example, wear make-up (FeMale) or style your hair (Male). Anything to show you've made an effort. Have a shower first thing in the morning to liven yourself up. Try using Original Source Mint & Tea Tree shower gel. It feels icy and zingy all over your body and certainly makes you have a spring in your step. The perfect wake-up call for when you're feeling tired and sluggish in the morning. Great if you're not particularly a morning person. Get plenty of hugs. Hugs make you feel good. It shows love. Giving and receiving. Do something for somebody... Even if it is giving your change to charity. You know like if you have £5.24.. Give the 24p to the charity box. Think about seeing a Chiropractor. Your back may be out of line and you don't even know it. It does wonders for your posture and lifts your mood immensely.

Listed below is a list of types of Depression and the general symptoms of Depression. To be diagnosed you need 3 or more of the ones listed. See if you relate to any of them. If so, make a list and then take it to show your Doctor. He/She may be able to recommend other Therapies/Medications to you.

There are many types of Depression such as...

Major Depression (Uni-Polar Depression).

Manic Depression (Bi-Polar Depression).

Chronic Depression (Dysthymia).

Atypical Depression.

Postpartum Depression.

Seasonal Depression (S.A.D).

Psychotic Depression.

But general symptoms of Depression are..

Fatigue or loss of energy almost every day.

Feelings of worthlessness or guilt almost every day.

Impaired concentration, indecisiveness.

Insomnia or Hypersomnia (excessive sleeping) almost every day.

Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in almost all activities nearly every day (called anhedonia, this symptom can be indicated by reports from significant others).

Psychomotor agitation or retardation (restlessness or being slowed down).

Recurring thoughts of death or suicide (not just fearing death).

Significant weight loss or gain (a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month).

Take care.

Lin. xXx

Source(s): Paranoid Schizophrenia, Panic Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, O.C.D, REVERSE-S.A.D, Uni-Polar Depression, Self-Harm, Insomnia/Hypersomnia, Chronic Asthma, Mobility Problems

about 5 years ago, I started to fall into a really depressive episode. At first I thought it was only because I had a bad break from a relationship but the feelings wouldn't go away even after I got a new girlfriend. It was wrecking my life until a point where it was seriously affecting my work and personal life.

She was very worried but at the same time couldn't understand why I was still sad and thought that I still couldn't let go of my previous relationship. Being the wonderful person that she is, she put aside her feelings and suggested I go for psychiatric evaluation. Many months later and even more anti-depressants, I was not coming close to being better at all.

After doing some research online, I found out the real cause as you described it really makes a lot of sense and purchased this program. The results were simply astonishing. I read this book over three times and put all words in action. Using this method, I've kept my depression at bay ever since. Up to date I'm still living happily with my girlfriend.

Depression Free Method?

there's a lot of ways to get out of the sort of depressive,, lazy mode your in. You mentioned that you cba with exercising anymore which is natural for a teenager to do. You seem pretty independant anyway but going out more could help you speak to other people even if they do annoy you cause when you leave high school and go to college you will still come across people that annoy you and so on. If you take a certain subject and you don't get on with the teacher then its not going to work so much for that area you need to grow up a little bit.

There's many things you can do to get you motivated. Make your parents pay you to do choirs around the home or even make them pay you to go school. Even if its just a fiver a week its nothing to them as long as your getting a good education and working.

Most people start to each junk food when they do nothing but sit around all day,, so start doing something. Listen to music more which gives you the good mood you need and when the good mood comes to you then you can get up and exercise and once you start a routine going everything will come together. You reading this and thinking mehhh I'll try but it won't last won't help either. You have to think about good things.

I'll say this nicely even though I've helped you,, you seem like a **** from the last bit you've wrote about the people not being able to eat certain foods on certain days. I can understand why you only have two friends and its not because you can't stand them its because they can't stand you. Get a life :)

You're not screwed up by any means. You're going through the normal thing that people go through their whole lives. Unless you were born a trust fund baby, life is going to be uncertain.

Sure your friends may not be on the same thought wavelength as you but they're your friends for a reason right? Would you like all your friends to be just like you or would you rather they be a bit different to bring a good mix in to your life?

Religion may be good for some people but maybe not for you, and maybe not now but later in life. And then again it may never be right for you. Who knows. But that's okay. Religion is a personal thing and something you need to either have in you or not.

Enjoy your time now. You're going to look back one day and realize the fun you had but there's fun ahead of you too. Find something you like to do and invest your energies in that. Hopefully it will help you get through what you're going through.

Be glad that you have the two good friends. I have one really good friend who I cherish and without her I'd be absolutely lost. You don't need to necessarily surround yourself with people rather good people.

Things will get better for you. Have a bit of faith and give yourself some credit. Most people have gone through this stage at some point in their lives and some more than once.

Best of luck to you!

Science and atheism (weak atheism in my case because I don't think we can ever be sure there is no god) helped me out of depression. I just thought, there's almost certainly no god, or heaven, or greater meaning to existence. We're a collection of matter which has evolved in complexity and amazingly become self-aware. We're made from star dust sat on a tiny rock orbiting one of billions of stars which make up billions of galaxies, and according to physicists there could be infinite universes. This life is it, all there is, when I die my brain stops supporting my consciousness and I'm gone forever. So it's completely illogical to mope around feeling sorry for yourself, make the most of your short life and take in the amazing world you live in.

Source(s): This worked for me. You seem to believe the same kind of things so hopefully you will see the sense in it.

Yeah, it sounds like ur gifted, ur on a higher mental level than most of those around you, even though its great to be gifted and evrything it sometimes causes depression especially if ur not clueless like evryone else is. Trust me goin on 2 college changes alot of $hit and its usually as good or even better than u imagine. I started feelin depressed when i changed schools and didnt kno anyone, when i was used to havin alot of friends, luckily i graduated highschool like a month after da switch and went straight 2 college