Is it legal to carry a hatchet openly on your person in California.?

Penal code states that all fixed blades must be worn openly, Does this include a hatchet? And if the city has no ordinances stating length limit, Is this ok?

And no im not the one thats carrying it. I have my knife, I do not need a damn axe. My brother has been wondering this because i can carry my knife and he thinks it would apply the same for a hatchet, I just dont want him getting arrested for it.

John S: so then am I right in assuming that even if it is not clarified within the law(wich usually most as well as myself interpret as legal ) it would probably be best that my brother does not go around carrying a hatchet around on his belt? Honestly i dont know why he wants too Seeing as I carry my knife for work, his reason for being would basically be....well nothing. Unless he is attempting to go help a friend chop would he would have no excuse. I know he cant say oh im taking it to a friends because that doesnt go well with local leos here.

• John S
    Favorite Answer

State law requires a dirk or dagger to be carried openly. Until several years ago I could have given you a definitive answer, because the California Supreme Court had divided weapons into those which were weapons by definition (including dirks and daggers), and those which could be dangerous or deadly in use (including hatpins and, specifically, hatchets). (See People v. Graham (1969) 71 Cal.2d 303.) However, the definition of dirk or dagger was greatly expanded in People v. Rubalcava (2000) 23 Cal.4th 322, and would now include a hatpin (or even knitting needles), which is why any fixed blade knife must now be carried openly.

I still believe that a hatchet is not a dirk or dagger, because the definition in Rubalcava is that the object must be capable of "ready use as a stabbing weapon," and hatchets are not stabbing weapons. But I am less confident than I was in the 20th century.

Source(s): 35+ years as a criminal defense attorney

confident you are able to hold a flask. If a cop stops you, you are able to prepare to them that there is in basic terms water in the flask by potential of offering them a drink. do not undertaking approximately it; my buddy who's 18 will carry around wine for her father and mom. in case you're actually not under the effect of alcohol then you definately would be super

What in world do you need to carry a hatchet for?

I'm afraid to ask...