Is there a way to learn to appreciate literature more?

I've read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, High Fidelity by Nick Hornby, The Plague by Albert Camus, The Stranger by Albert Camus, Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote, A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway and Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck just recently and I don't find them 'anything special'. I mean, sure, I enjoyed most of them but I don't consider them that great, and I don't understand all the praise given towards those books.

Also, I clearly understood them.

I would just like to appreciate reading those classic books more.

I'm planning to move onto books by Kurt Vonnegut and the like as well.

What are your thoughts?

Do you think I'm reading the 'wrong' type of books?

I'm 16 and consider myself relatively intellectual.

Thanks in advance! Really appreciate your thoughts.

Favorite Answer

Ray bradbury is a genius, he criticizes society- everything about it. read something wicked this way comes, and Fahrenheit 451 by him.

i enjoy 'the shadow of the wind' by carlos ruiz zafon, its also pretty cutty.

john saul is a good author, but ive never read his stuff.

and edgar allen poe is fantastically dark, i love him.

and get into underground rap, its spoken poetry. listen to 'i against i' by jedi mind tricks, and all of the songs off of the violent by design album.

write, thats one of the best ways to appreciate literature, and where authors are coming from

hit me on facebok if you have more questions or any comments

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=...

Source(s): im also 16, and i admire people like you that take an interest in such things. keep up the good work

It is good to have an opinion about those books. That you don't find them that great is a good thing, because you don't follow the crowd. Try to figure out what it is you dislike about the books.

I can only say to you, about literature: you are on the right track. If you like reading that much, you should explore as many books as you can. Not just read them, but try to form an opinion about them. Find people who also love to read, and talk with them about your findings. They will motivate you and probably have some great suggestions on which books to read.

Remember to read different books from different genres, eventually you will find the ones you really like. When you must force yourself to read a book, put it away and read something else.

I found reading short stories from Lovecraft really interesting. They led to other writers as Algernon Blackwood and Arthur Machen. And although I didn't like everything they wrote, I did find some interesting stories, which I cared more about than what we were forced to read in school. I also like to read translations of ancient writers: such as the Anabasis from Xenophon for instance.

Consider Dostojevski, Kafka, Murakami, Tolstoj, Burgess, Mulisch,..

But also consider: The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy from Douglas Adams, Discworld from Terry Pratchet, Harry Potter, Lord of The Rings, Dune, Ender, The Life of Pie,...

You madame are a freak of nature, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Personally, I enjoy books for myself and not because anyone recommends them or thinks that they're 'classics'. After a while you just have to decide that not all books are for everyone, and times change so that reading a book in the context of the early 1900s is very different from reading the same book in the 2000s.

You might try learning more about the author's lives and their perspectives so that you can grok their inside jokes and the book's subtext [within their lives, not the plot of the book]. You could also appreciate a book based on its role in history, as opposed to its writing (all of Jane Austen's stuff is utter crap to me, but apparently it was revolutionary for being centered around the small-time happenings of a normal family).

Good luck.

ps. My favorite book in the world is Dune by Frank Herbert.

Source(s): hahaha I'm not qualified to give advice, you're probably more well read than me.