I wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air like I wasn't breathing. What's wrong with me?

Every so often I wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air like I wasn't breathing for awhile. Lastnight really scared me because I woke up atleast two times breathing really heavily and I could feel my heart pounding REALLY hard. Like, I felt like I was going to die. It was awful. What could this be?... show more Every so often I wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air like I wasn't breathing for awhile. Lastnight really scared me because I woke up atleast two times breathing really heavily and I could feel my heart pounding REALLY hard. Like, I felt like I was going to die. It was awful. What could this be? It also seems like if I think about it before sleeping, it happens more. Is this possibly in my head? Am I forgetting to breathe while I sleep? It's really starting to scare me... I am afraid I'll just stop breathing and never wake up. Has anyone else gone through this?