I wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air like I wasn't breathing. What's wrong with me?

Every so often I wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air like I wasn't breathing for awhile. Lastnight really scared me because I woke up atleast two times breathing really heavily and I could feel my heart pounding REALLY hard. Like, I felt like I was going to die. It was awful. What could this be? It also seems like if I think about it before sleeping, it happens more. Is this possibly in my head? Am I forgetting to breathe while I sleep? It's really starting to scare me... I am afraid I'll just stop breathing and never wake up. Has anyone else gone through this?

Favorite Answer

It could be sleep apnea. However, maybe you're having a recurring nightmare.

There are machines that gently blow air into a mask you wear at night. They can be very helpful...

• CB

Sleep apnea most likely. I have it and that is what it felt like before I got a CPAP.