promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
G asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

A good suggestion for a contemporary non-fiction book for a high schooler?

It has to be contemporary non-fiction, though it cannot be a memoir. Our teacher prefers it to be over or around 250-300 pages. Any suggestions are welcome. It's a tenth grade honors English class. Some books I've found interesting are txting and The World Without Us, but before I choose I'd like to see what some other options are. Thanks in advance!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Blind Side by Michael Lewis

Football, Economics, Education all in 299 pages.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot,

Henrietta Lacks, a poor black woman in the 1950s, provided the world with one of the most important cells to date: the HeLa cell. This fascinating, well-paced narrative showcases the atrocities committed against the African American community in the name of science.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption [Hardcover]

Laura Hillenbrand It's long -496 pages

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Have a look at the new book 'Solving Stonehenge' by Anthony Johnson, your teacher will certainly approve as it is recommended by the American Library Association (review page below). It's not some new 'theory' but a review of everything to date, including the origin of all the myths and stories, but then offers a surprising and interesting new way of looking at the Stones.

Details from Thames & Hudson:

ISBN 978-0-500-05155-9 · 61/2" x 91/2" · 135 illustrations, 35 in color · 288 pages · ANCIENT HISTORY / ARCHAEOLOGY

• 9 years ago

Deep Economy by Bill McKibben

• 9 years ago

Peak---the story of a teen climbing Mt. Everest

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I recommend Factory Girls by Leslie T. Chang. It humanizes the factory workers in China. It shows how they work, and their relationships with their friends and family. It is totally different and I found it fascinating.

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Girls-Village-Changi...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.