Tips on filming a wedding (first time filming a wedding video)?

Within my community, I've been filming events, speeches, documentaries, music videos, and concerts with Canon's HFS10. I also use a "Rode VideoMic Directional Video Condenser Microphone w/Mount". For editing, I use CyberLink Powerdirector and handles .MTS files pretty. I'm more comfortable... show more Within my community, I've been filming events, speeches, documentaries, music videos, and concerts with Canon's HFS10. I also use a "Rode VideoMic Directional Video Condenser Microphone w/Mount". For editing, I use CyberLink Powerdirector and handles .MTS files pretty. I'm more comfortable with AVCHD, and since I'm in school I don't really have time or money to learn and buy software using tapes. I only have a DVD burner for now as well.

So I'm working with a really low budget, basically what I have, plus may obtain a few more gadgets to invest in building a portfolio. Since this is my first wedding film, I'm both excited and nervous. I feel like I would need to get (rent) a large Prosumer camcorder so I can get access to certain areas of the stage, etc. although I have seen international wedding videographers use DSLR cameras.

A friend of mine is getting married this summer, a few months away. So since they are family friends, didn't charge a lot. Budget is limited. I am contemplating on just using an HFS10 or renting an XH-A1s, and have the HFS10 as stationary. I chose XH-A1s since it's in the family of Canon, colors may be comparable, and I want to edit MTS file. Can't afford Final Cut Pro yet. I heard Express is a waste of $.

MY BIGGEST CONCERNS are (1)low-light reception and (2)capturing good audio (ie. low or no crowd hum when the best man is doing his speech)
-Will the HFS10 be good enough if I get decent dimmer light?
-Or will the XH-A1s do much better than the HFS10+light?
-I know someone with a Canon s95. Will that produce better low-light than HFS10? Only thing is, there is no mic input.

-What would be the best way to capture good audio?
-Should I borrow another mic and attach to recorder, like a Zoom H4n, or a laptop into an audio software, like AcidPro?
-Can I hook up a stationary camcorder by the speakers?
-Or Can I just use my Rode Mic or an upgraded on-camera shotgun mic (NTG1,2, Azden, Audiotechnica, etc) for the reception?

Thanks.
4 answers 4