Myra
Myra asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Why are there so many dogs that have parvo and kennel cough on here don't they know you should get the shots?

Do the shots not work. Have this done and have never had a problem.

Favorite Answer

All but one patient I've treated for tracheobronchitis (KC) had and has their intranasal Bordetella vaccine up to date, religiously, every 6 months. Owners brought them in within 2 weeks of boarding, showing, classes, competition/meet, daycare, dog park play, and they came in contact with the BACTERIA (not a virus) during one of these excursions. Granted, the majority of the cases had greatly reduced symptoms and duration of the infection, because of their vaccine, but they still were infected.

Bordetella bronchiseptica and canine influenza strains are numerous. NO VACCINE can prepare the immune system for all the strains it will encounter. KC is not like a cold virus. It's bacterial. Immunity cannot effectively map a copy and defend against a bacteria. The bordetella vaccine is started at 12 weeks age, and ONLY given to dogs that participate in the aforementioned activities.

Any owner that calls in reporting their dog is coughing is asked to come to a separate entrance when they arrive, and they're led into isolation, because even the owner can be a fomite for the bacteria and infect our lobby and hospital. We determine in isolation if it's a case of infectious vs non-infectious tracheobronchitis, or a progressed heart murmur, nasal foreign body, tumor, or other cause for the cough.

Kennel cough is aerosolized, therefore highly contagious. Bacteria and viruses are excellent at adapting and improving their abilities to infect a host. This is their job and they're good at it. Reputable boarding kennels, professionally ran dog shows, and pristine hospitals have all had their share of managing a building-full of kennel cough dogs. Shelters have it happen more often because they have the highest traffic of dogs, and the hardiest strains of bacteria and viruses in such an environment. Add that to the stress the dogs' physiology is suffering, and they constantly are controlling kennel cough outbreaks.

Parvovirus is effectively controlled by the vaccine. As long as the series of vaccines are administered appropriately, at or near 8, 12, and 16 weeks age, puppies do not contract parvo. Vaccinating them earlier, such as at 6 weeks, is only warranted if they have no dam, or their dam is not vaccinated, and they haven't been nursing milk loaded with antibodies.

All my parvo cases and those of my veteran cohorts (>20 yrs) involved puppies who were not vaccinated, started their vaccination series too late, used improperly refrigerated vaccines, or inappropriately administered the vaccine in some other way. Often, if we get verbal or handwritten notations from a breeder, we question their validity. If there are NO sticker labels from the Distemper/Parvo vaccine and no vaccine record with dewormings, a fecal test result, dates administered, puppy name, breeder name, and whelping date, then the vaccines likely were not given as stated.

People "research" on the internet when they are avoiding spending money. At times, my meager paycheck helping pet owners and their pets has led me to turn this (internet) off, stop the cable or satellite, never eat out, live on cheap eats at home (more beans!), hike more and go out less, turn down the thermostat in winter and up in summer, all so I can still maintain my home and my critters as they're accustomed. Especially the geriatrics. They sure like when I don't have all the electronic distractions anyway. Works out for the best. Most people seek easy answers. Compromising, working hard, doing what's right, these don't come easily.

Those that seek cures online for their pets, likely live their lives that way, and no amount of bashing, cajoling, sympathy, anger, outrage, judgment, or aid is going to change their way of life. When I get owners in front of me that want solutions for free, we lay out their options, and tell them it's their choice and responsibility, not ours. We can't get judgmental and angry at them, or we'd be unhappy every day. Every now and then we get an owner to surrender ownership rather than euthanize a healthy critter, but this doesn't change that person's core of who they are. Education and patience are our weapons when faced with such people. Not judgment.

• .

Kennel cough vaccine is a bit like the flu shot in that the vaccine is only for a few of the most common strains. There are any number of others strains the dogs can get so even vaccinating The dog can easily get another strain. Many vets don't even recommend the Kennel Cough vaccine unless your dog is in high risk of infection situations.

As for parvo part of it is too cheap to vaccinate, part of it is not understanding how vaccines work and taking a too young puppy into a situation where it becomes infected because it has had its first shot. A very small part of it is no vaccine is 100% effective so even a fully vaccinated dog can potentially become infected.

Never had parvo in my dogs thank goodness, have had a mild case of kennel cough on a dog that was vaccinated for it.

The possibility they got sick from the vet is very slim. Unfortunately, the shelters are over populated and usually understaffed. Kennel cough is almost a given when you get a dog from the shelter. Parvo is less likely if the shelter is a good one because they check for it. Sometimes, it is hard to do it all for all the animals they have to deal with. Bless you for adopting from a shelter. I am sorry you lost one. All I can say about the dogs 'looking' healthy is you cannot always go by that. I had a Yellow Lab who developed liver disease. You would have never known it (until the very end) when you looked at him.

• Chix

You sense there are many dogs here with parvo /KC. Its not an indication of anything -because there are millions of dogs that dont get parvo.

I dont vaccinate for KC - it isn't about money - I dont kennel my dogs and they are not at risk. Its a cold - and I happen to believe in the principles of natural hygiene which state a healthy, happy dog will not get seriously ill.

Distemper is so common that almost every puppy will be exposed to it at some point in its life - yet most do not become ill because the dog has a healthy immune system.

Parvo vaccine is not a guarantee - but since its a killer, I dont take chances and vaccinate my puppy.

• Inga

I can't say I've ever had a dog with parvo. But I have had a handful of dogs get Kennel Cough even though they were vaccinated. There are several strains of the virus and they do change.

I can't say whether or not it's that the vaccine is ineffective or not, though. But it happens.

Because too many puppies are coming from BYBs/Puppy Farms/Pet shops. Once this gets onto a property, it's there for a long time so any unprotected puppies (too young to have had their vaccination shots) are going to pick it up. Plus many of these puppies who contact Parvo, are weak sickly puppies to begin with. I seriously doubt you'll find a well-bred puppy, from a reputable kennel, is going to go down, or arrive with Parvovirus.

Likewise with Kennel Cough - Shelters, for example, are rife with this, and it's almost inevitable that any dog going into a Shelter, or coming out, is going to pick this up. KC is a virus (as is parvo, but I don't think it mutates ..... much as I recall a panic years back, over Coronavirus being a mutation of Parvo, which I don't think it is?) and is constantly mutating rather like the human flu. Even if dogs are vaccinated against it, they can, and do, still go down with it, much as vaccinated dogs normally shake it off quickly with no side effects.

The bordetella vaccination does not cover all the different strains of kennel cough. My dog had the bordetella vaccination and still got kennel cough (she almost died as well).

As for parvo, there really is no excuse for not vaccinating against that killer disease, certainly don't need to vaccinate older dogs unless there is an outbreak or your dogs immune system is compromised. Older dogs rarely contract it, and if they do it usually just passes.

This bothers me as well, you don't necessarily have to even bring a puppy to the vet to be vaccinated, I know stores like tractor supply sell boosters for only $7! BUT parvo is so highly contagious that a puppy in between vaccinations can be exposed, even if the owner doesn't bring the puppy out of the house/yard.

Vaccinated dogs can get parvo, but the likelihood is greatly, greatly diminished with the vaccine. The vaccine costs about $6-10 at any farm supply store, so I have no idea why people won't get it done. "I can't afford it" doesn't cut it for giving a cheap vaccine. If you can't afford to vaccinate your dog you can't afford a dog. Period.

People are lazy and, more likely, cheap. They are not too broke for shots or they would be too broke for dog food. However, getting vaccines may mean canceling the cable or internet for a couple months and that sadly does not occur to people. They want to vaccinate their dog but can't afford it because they don't want to miss their favorite TV shows? That's what Hulu is for. Or have a friend record them. I mean come on.

My dogs are vaccinated but my dog got a mild version of kennel cough even though he was Vaccinated you just don't get the full Blown thing

Same with parvo vaccinated dogs can still get a weak strain of it