flowerremedies asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

rough/smooth collie pros and mainly cons?

hi, we're getting a dog soon and our family's deciding between a labrador and a rough collie, most likely, unless we can find smooth collies.

so what are some cons, for those who have had experience? i'm aware of the shedding and grooming and barking, but what about others? of course, we'll be buying from a reliable breeder so bad breeding won't be a problem, i hope.

and how about a comparison between collies and labs? i know they're completely different dogs, not even in the same group, but it's what we've narrowed our search down to.

any opinions/experience would be extremely appreciated, and a suggestion to what other breeds might suit us would be very nice, too! :) we live in a single house, exercise shouldn't be a problem, but i'm pretty sure we can't keep up with a border collie or an alaskan malamute's demands for exercise. we have people home all day, and the dog will live indoors. we'll be getting a puppy, [unless we find a suitable dog for us at the animal shelter to adopt (: ] but the MAIN caretakers won't be home all hours of the day. i'm looking for a dog with endurance, since i run long distance and i love to bike and walk endlessly. this doesn't happen every day, though. the less shedding, the better. i know rough collies will shed quite a bit, but most of it should come out in the brush and research tells me that when well groomed, they actually shed just as much as any other average dog.

we have lots of valuables easily knocked over around the house, which is why we're hesitant on getting those bouncy labrador puppies. i'm considering the rough collie just for that reason. [and of course many others, but that's the one holding us back from the lab] and yes, i know that temperaments vary between individuals.

thanks, all.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Emma
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

grooming, but smoothes do need to be groomed regularly to keep their coats healthy. Collies have a double coat of hair, meaning there is a thick undercoat and an outer coat of thinner and flatter hair.

A smooth collie has shorter hair like that of a Labrador or Dalmatian. The hair is short and smooth with a thick undercoat. Rough collies have a long and flowing topcoat and a dense undercoat. You can keep your collie looking good, no matter what the variety, with regular brushing.

About Collies - http://www.dog-pound.net/collie/collie-dog-breed-p...

• 9 years ago

Collies are all working dogs and require tones of exercise. A rough Collie would require the same amount of exercise that a Border Collies does.

Some collie breeds (especially the Rough Collie and the Smooth Collie) are affected by a genetic defect, a mutation within the MDR1 gene.[11] Affected dogs are very sensitive to some drugs, such as Ivermectin, as well as to some antibiotics, opioids and steroids – over 100 drugs in total. Affected dogs also show a lower cortisol concentration than normal. The Verband für das Deutsche Hundewesen (The German Kennel Club) encourages breed clubs to test all breeding stock and avoid breeding from affected dogs.

A genetic disorder in collies is canine cyclic neutropenia, or Grey Collie Syndrome. This is a stem cell disorder. Puppies with this disorder are quite often mistaken as healthy Blue Merles, even though their colour is a silver grey. Affected puppies rarely live more than 6 months of age. For a puppy to be affected, both the sire and the dam have to be carriers of the disorder.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.