Remove old oil paint stain from carpet?

I have a black, a purple, and a yellow stain on the beige carpet. The stain has been there since October, so for about 4 months now (I know, don't give me crap, I've gotten enough to last this lifetime and the next). I've tried paint thinner, but it's not working too well. I mean, it came off a little, but not entirely. Please help, it's a rental house...

• Jaime
    Best Answer

Often paint on carpet is just on the very tips of the fibers, and you can just snip the paint off with sharp scissors. But it sounds like you have probably worked the paint down into the fibers with the paint thinner. I doubt you can remove the paint. Try contacting a professional carpet cleaner. They might be able to remove that stain, but I doubt that any home remedy will work at this point, except maybe a "carpet transplant."

Good luck.

-

• spivey

Remove Paint Stain From Carpet

This happened to me (with blue paint on white carpet). I think you might want to try Genesis 950 Concentrate. It works with water to get into the stain, break it's bond and dissolve it. The origin of this product is in pressrooms where it is used to clean ink from equipment and floors. Industrial ink is much heavier setting then oil paint. I know for a fact this product will remove the stain. I had spilled paint on my carpet when painting the walls and tried everything to clean it. Every product I used just smeared the paint into the carpet. By the time I got the 950 it was 6 months later. It pulled ALL the paint out of the carpet.

I use it regularly to clean everything. It works great on carpet and fabric when mixed with warm water. I have used it for multiple stains. Originally I bought it from a garage type shop where they use it to break down oil and grease to clean their cement floors and rags as well as engines, transmissions and car interiors. I once shattered an entire bottle of A1 Steak Sauce in my living room. The 950 removed it from my carpet and furniture.

In addition, I have 2 cats and 2 dogs. I have used it to remove urine, vomit and lick marks. The stuff is really amazing and I think it would remove your stains.

I order it online at www.amerikalstore.com

A) If the carpet is in the entry way= problem. Too much traffic...bad for patching.

You could contact a carpet distributor and ask them for the best dry cleaning carpet person that they know to come and try to do it.( not a store, not Sears- but a wholesale carpet distributor- Beaulieu, Shaw, Marharam).

I live in Toronto,Ontario, Canada and have a GURU here....So, there must be one there.

I'd do A before cutting a damn thing.

B) Is there any carpet in a closet?

Best thing- cut out the stain entirely.

Patch it with the cut out.

Make a template of the cutting before you cut the newer carpet.

If you can- try to match with a sample carpet- that will cost nothing.

Source(s): www.designsbyobrien.com

Remove the stain by blotting it with small amounts of rubbing alcohol poured onto a small washcloth. The alcohol will absorb the oil and lift up the stain. Be sure to blot, not wipe, as wiping can cause the stain to spread.

• Donna

You can get a bottle of club soda the next time you go to get pop. Pour on enough to get the stain really wet. Let sit for 10 minutes then blot up. It should work...good luck