How to move old emails from yahoo to another email account system (like gmail)?

I have hundreds of emails stored in folders in my yahoo account that I can no longer find using the search function. I am sick and tired of waiting and pleading for Yahoo to fix the email search function on my yahoo mail account. I am thinking about moving to gmail. Problem: I need to figure out some way to move those old saved email folders to gmail (so that I can search for what I need). Can this be done?

Thanks

Favorite Answer

Gmail’s import option is compatible with any email provider using POP3. This means that any emails and contacts from Yahoo, Hotmail or AOL can be safely transferred to your new Gmail account. (NOTE: POP access for Yahoo needed!) Use a Yahoo Plus paid account, or YPOPs or FreePOPS.

Import emails and contacts from any email provider to Gmail:

1. Login to your Gmail account. Then, Settings (top right corner) of the window. In the Settings window, click on the Accounts and Import tab. Under the Import mail and contacts section, click on the Import mail and contacts button.

2. Type in your old email address (ex: name@yahoo.com) and click the Continue button.

Input the password for your old email address and click on Continue.

3. Gmail allows you to choose what to import to your new email address. All the option boxes are checked by default. However, if you only want to import your contacts, un-check the Import mail box.

4. If you don’t want to redirect new emails from your old address to Gmail, un-check the Import new mail for next 30 days box. (If you’re switching to Gmail because your email address is blocked with spam, don't re-direct.) In addition, label redirected emails with your old email address or other name.

5. After configuring your import options, click on Start import. Click the OK button to finish the import process. The import process will take place in the background, so you can use your Gmail account normally, and it will continue, even if you log out of Gmail and close your browser.

If you don’t see any imported email or contacts right away, be patient, as the process may take up to 2 days to complete. You can always check the status of your import by clicking on Settings and then on the Accounts and Import tab.

Source(s): didn't remember to save the source this time - sorry