What is dubstep and why is it such a big deal?

I went to one of the bar/clubs near campus last night and when I walked in they were playing dubstep (i recognized it from some songs friends had shown me) This bar typically plays regular pop/hip-hop/club music. After two or three of these dubstep tracks, I asked the DJ if this was all they were playing all night. And he told me, pretty rudely actually, like I was a loser if I wasn't into this music that sounded like grinding gears, that they were playing all "Electronica" tonight, and if I didn't like it I should go somewhere else. I don't dislike electronica in general, so I figured I'd wait until some other kind of electronica that didn't give me a headache came on, but it never did so I left after about 20 minutes.

Anyway, what is up with dubstep? The tracks would all start out fine, like a remix of some other song, with a good, danceable beat, then it would break down into this screeching, grinding noise. Like the noise my car makes when I turn the key too far in the ignition.

Can people dance to dubstep? It doesn't seem like good club music. I saw some people dancing, but it looked awkward, they were kinda just bouncing around (including one 65 year old woman wearing all tie-dye and scarves). I noticed most of the people who seemed to be enjoying it were dressed different too, very casual, like ripped sneakers and baggy dresses.

Is is part of some new pop-culture that I'm not aware of? Am I really uncool for thinking dubstep sounds pretty awful?

Update:

I dont care of I'm "cool," especially not if it means I have to like dubstep. What I meant was, am I the only person that doesn't like it?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

If you care if you're uncool, you probably are. Which is why you don't like dubstep.

• 9 years ago

Dubstep is a genre of electronic dance music that originated in South East London. Its overall sound has been described as "tightly coiled productions with overwhelming bass lines and reverberant drum patterns, clipped samples, and occasional vocals. The earliest dubstep releases date back to 1998 and were darker, more experimental, instrumental dub remixes of 2-step garage tracks attempting to incorporate the funky elements of breakbeat, or the dark elements of drum and bass into 2-step

Its a pretty popular genre but i wouldnt concider it a new pop-culture ;D i think thats pretty rude how the dj treated you and i wouldnt go back there again

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

well yea thats the style of dubstep, it's bassed on bass, the more bass and creative they can go along with creating it, the better the song is...isnt necessarliy energetic like electro are hardstyle more of a dark vibing feel to it

since the music hasnt been around much, im thinking better dances to it will develop over the next few years

its alright not to like it because this type of music is something better to vibe to and just jam to other than dance to if you dont already know the crappy ways to dance to it at the moment haha...

• Jynxie
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

wow what a jerk. I wouldn't go back to that place if i were you.

idk what dubstep is. all i know is people who take that stuff seriously need to get a life and stop telling people who don't listen to that that they're losers,

because honestly, those techno people look like dorks.

so they have no right to tell other people that kind of crap.

don't worry about what dubstep is. im sure its just some dumb fad that'll pass within like 3 months.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • stwart
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

It enables to understand what you're listening to. as an occasion, Wagner's opera Gotterdammerung is packed with "leitmotifs," or short orchestral snippets which characterize a character or point prop. while the character Siegfried is killed, the orchestra performs a funeral march which looked like lots noise to me the 1st time I heard it. yet then I analyzed it and found that the leitmotifs interior the funeral march informed the tale of Siegfried's existence. Now i won't manage to hearken to that piece dry-eyed. I used to think of Mozart's song grew to become into purely lots fancy filligree. yet i grew to become into informed that Mozart grew to become into between the 1st and between the superb composers interior the sonata type, which includes words which includes "exposition," "progression," and "recapitulation." So i offered a duplicate of the Mozart piano sonatas, alongside with a e book on interpreting those sonatas, and went to artwork examining. Now i think in a diverse way. Fugues are an entire sub-class. Fugues contain their very own checklist of words, which includes "episode," "counter-subject," and "augmentation." maximum listeners are not conscious of those words, so that they are probable to hearken to countless not something. it quite is why a fugue has been defined as a composition wherein the voices are available in one by utilising one and the objective industry is going out one by utilising one. All it quite is quite difficult to describe in a song appreciation type, wherein the scholars are available in with all levels of musical journey. subsequently, song appreciation instructors generally initiate the direction with "application song," or compositions wherein the song represents some thing which maximum listeners would desire to understand. interior the Peery Gynt Suite by utilising Grieg, one piece represents the solar springing up and the birds making a song at first mild. yet another piece represents the death of the call character's mom. In a Persian industry by utilising Arthur Ketelbey is yet another stable one. in this piece, there a topic each for the caravan, the king, the beggars, the snake charmer, and the captivating princess.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.