What is dubstep and why is it such a big deal?

I went to one of the bar/clubs near campus last night and when I walked in they were playing dubstep (i recognized it from some songs friends had shown me) This bar typically plays regular pop/hip-hop/club music. After two or three of these dubstep tracks, I asked the DJ if this was all they were playing all... show more I went to one of the bar/clubs near campus last night and when I walked in they were playing dubstep (i recognized it from some songs friends had shown me) This bar typically plays regular pop/hip-hop/club music. After two or three of these dubstep tracks, I asked the DJ if this was all they were playing all night. And he told me, pretty rudely actually, like I was a loser if I wasn't into this music that sounded like grinding gears, that they were playing all "Electronica" tonight, and if I didn't like it I should go somewhere else. I don't dislike electronica in general, so I figured I'd wait until some other kind of electronica that didn't give me a headache came on, but it never did so I left after about 20 minutes.

Anyway, what is up with dubstep? The tracks would all start out fine, like a remix of some other song, with a good, danceable beat, then it would break down into this screeching, grinding noise. Like the noise my car makes when I turn the key too far in the ignition.
Can people dance to dubstep? It doesn't seem like good club music. I saw some people dancing, but it looked awkward, they were kinda just bouncing around (including one 65 year old woman wearing all tie-dye and scarves). I noticed most of the people who seemed to be enjoying it were dressed different too, very casual, like ripped sneakers and baggy dresses.

Is is part of some new pop-culture that I'm not aware of? Am I really uncool for thinking dubstep sounds pretty awful?
Update: I dont care of I'm "cool," especially not if it means I have to like dubstep. What I meant was, am I the only person that doesn't like it?