is this a good laptop for video editing?

i will be transferring videos from my ps3 using a hauppage hd pvr and also editing videos from a hd camcorder.

HP - Pavilion Laptop / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 14" Display / 4GB Memory / 640GB Hard Drive - Aluminum

* HP Pavilion Laptop / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 14" Display / 4GB Memory / 640GB Hard Drive

* 6-cell lithium-ion battery

* 65W AC adapter

* Software: Adobe Reader and more

* Owner's manual

Product Features

* Intel® Core™ i5-460M processor

Features a 2.53GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz.

* Intel® Core™ i5 processor

Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.

* Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

Delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't. Intel® HD graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.

* 4GB DDR3 memory

For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.

* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.

* 14" LED high-definition display

With BrightView technology and 1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.

* Intel® Wireless Display

Wirelessly transmits streamed or downloaded movies, TV shows, music, photos and more from your laptop, network or the Internet to your TV (NETGEAR Push2TV adapter required, not included).

* 640GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times. ProtectSmart hard drive protection keeps your data safe.

* Built-in fingerprint reader

Protects sensitive information.

* Intel® HD graphics

Feature up to 1696MB total video memory for lush images. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.

* Built-in TrueVision webcam with digital microphone

Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.

* 5-in-1 digital media reader

Supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card formats.

* 2 high-speed USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital video, audio and data transfer. One eSATA/USB combo port.

* Built-in dual-band wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g/n)

Connect to the Internet without wires.

* Embedded 4G WiMAX mobile broadband technology

Gives you an ultrafast mobile Internet connection. (Wireless service contract required; sold separately. Check with carrier for coverage area and availability in your area.)

* Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.

* Weighs only 4.4 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin

For lightweight portability. Full-size, island-style keyboard for easy data entry.

* Long battery life

Of up to 6 hours and 30 minutes to give you more time away from an outlet.

* Brushed aluminum finish

With a stream design in argento for a stylish look.

* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled

Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.

* Software package included

With Adobe Reader and more. Microsoft Office Starter 2010 (product key card required for activation; sold separately) and 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office also included.

* ENERGY STAR qualified

Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.

* Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

i will also be expanding the the ram to 8gb. thanks in advance for any answers one more thing the software i would be using is the latest sony vegas software.

Update:

After reading some of the answers I would like to add that I prefer using a pc over mac. Also its going to be for casual editing its more of a hobby so nothing too hardcore. Just making. Montages and gameplay videos with little effects such as adding moving titles and such. And maybe the occasionall casual game such as sims3

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes this computer is suitable to for video editing because it has a power processor to tackle demanding applications, upgrading the ram to 8GB will show some performance improvement on the laptop. But if your doing really intensive work I suggest purchasing a laptop with a better graphics cards because intel hd isn't recommended, you can experiment with it though. Intel graphics cards tend to be weak ati and nividia are the leading innovations for image display. As long as you don't go overboard with extreme video editing the graphics card should be able to handle it depending on graphic demand. Since you specified that it's going to be for casual editing then this computer is certainly suitable for that need, light- high end gaming is good for this computer. All the best :)

• 9 years ago

The two answers above me are correct, this is a good laptop for video editing but uping the RAM to 6 or 8 GB would put the icing on the cake. An intel i-7 would be good too but it uses A TON more power and you wouldn't ever be able to use it on battery efficiently. If this is the best you can do then it is a good pick. I have used an HP for the last 10 years and haven't had a problem.

Also if you are buying direct from hp.com then http://hpdiscountlaptops.com has a $25 off coupon.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's reasonable for HD video editing. A quad core i7 processor would be better, but the dual core i5 will get the task done in a reasonable timeframe.

Going from 4GB to 8GB might help, but don't expect miracles. Video editing, filtering, rendering and compression for output is highly cpu dependent. Memory only plays a minor role, once you reach the critical minimum.

If you are using the Platinum 10 or Pro versions of Vegas, having a discrete nVidia video card (you have Intel HD) would significantly improve import and export speeds as it uses the GPU on the video card to expand and compress the video stream. If you're using the $49.95 consumer version, the GPU acceleration feature is not included.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I have a few that I would recommend and they have great price tags:

HP Envy 14-1160se Beats Edition 14.5-Inch Black Laptop PC - Up to 6.5 Hours of Battery Life

*Intel Core i5-460M Processor N950 (2.53GHz); 4GB DDR3 SDRAM memory (2 x 2GB) (expandable to 8GB); 640GB (7200 RPM) Serial ATA hard drive; Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

*14.5 Inch diagonal High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity LED Display (1366 x 768), ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 switchable graphics with 1GB dedicated DDR3 memory up to 2714MB total graphics memory

*External Ports: 2-in-1 memory card reader; 3 USB 2.0 (3rd port shared with eSATA); 1 HDMI; 1 RJ -45 (LAN); 1 Headphone-out/Microphone-in combo jack (compatible with 3.5mm 4-conductor jack with stereo audio and mono mic)

*Slot-Loading SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support; Beats Audio; Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN; Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n WLAN & Bluetooth

*Aluminum in black with soft-touch surfaces threaded throughout the body; HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated microphone; Full-size red backlit island-style keyboard; HP Clickpad with On/Off button

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Alright mate I think you're best off just trading that Game into Game or something and buy something like Formula 1 2012, or Fifa 13. PC Games are just unreliable.

• Zenon
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

No, If your spending so much buy a mac. they are the BEST for video editing and graphics design. Windows was invented 20 years ago, the software isnt built for it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.