I have to write a 6-8 page paper in US History?

Im in AP US History class and I need to write an 6-8 page paper on a topic regarding Political Corruption, Reform, and Jim Crow Era. I was thinking about doing Plessy vs Ferguson. Is that a good topic? Any other ideas? Thanks

Best Answer

Plessy is definitely a good case to use, but will likely be too little to cover an entire paper. Maybe using other Supreme Court cases such as Dred Scott v. Sanford (which preceded the civil war, but demonstrates racism).

Another interesting topic would be the reconstruction plans, the freedmen's bureau, and hate groups, such as the KKK.

Source(s): In APUSH too!
  • Emily

Start by looking at The Idiot's Guide to 20th Century History. It will give a broad overview of the time, they have 1 chapter from 1929-1934. From there you gain find a topic that interests you. There is an interesting thought out there that Coolidge saw it coming, and chose not to run for reelection because he did not want to be int he White House when it hit. You can also look at the Roosevelt presidency which promised a New Deal, some say that his steps actually prolonged the depression. People loved Roosevelt, and in his FIRST 100 days in office he made more changes than any president before or after. Now people measure a president in his first 100 days from Roosevelt's presidency. He was able to bring both parties together.

Good case.

I guess Brown v Board of Education is out of that era, but that case overturned the Plessy-v-Ferguson case.