Are young adult books suitable for adults?

Not quite sure how to structure this question, but was just wondering if 'young adult' books which i guess are aimed at teenagers are suitable for people in their 20's? Im pretty new to reading and cant say i have read a 'young adult' book before so dont really know what to expect from one.

Are there any adults on here who regularly purchase young adult books and are satisfied by them? The book im thinking of purchasing is the 'The Hunger Games".

Favorite Answer

They're not *aimed* at adults, but there's no reason why adults can't read them. Some of them have crossover appeal - a great book is a great book, it doesn't matter who it was originally aimed at. :-)

The Hunger Games is read by plenty of adults - nobody will judge you for buying it.

It would be weird if you *only* read young adult books, but to read some young adult books along with other stuff is absolutely fine. Go for it!

@Huntress

"overt sexual themes and abject violence found in those aimed just at adults."

Not all adult books have those things in them. In fact, the *vast majority* of adult books have neither.

Some are, some aren't. Some of the young adult books deal with things like high school cliques - and these would bore a 20-year old to death. But some young adult books are well written and have a good following among 20 and 30-year old readers.

Just as an example, go to smashwords.com or amazon.com and look at The Long Way Home, by Florida Town. This is a story with lots of action and adventure, plus discovery and survival - and a few surprises. It's a story that can be read and enjoyed by any member of the family - young adults, regular adults or old adults.

So young adult isn't always a good indicator of the age-level, but rather the content level of the book. The Long Way Home doesn't have graphic sex scenes in it, so it can be marketed as a young adult book - but it can also be marketed as an adult book because some adults don't enjoy a book that is heavily saturated with sex.

The Hunger Games is a great buy that I think many people are interested in. It doesn't matter how old you are, if you see a novel you might like, pick it up! Heck, I still read Junie B. Jones books from when I was young and It's great to see others reading from an actual book for once instead of a screen. Many young adult books will have you sucked in to the plot in no time, so grab it and enjoy!

• aida

The line between adult and young adult books is rather indefinite anyway. Some libraries shelve in the Y section books originally written for adults, and some books that were considered to be for young adults when they were published are now listed as general adult.

Then, there are many adults who avidly read some young adult and even juvenile books. Think how many adults eagerly waited for each Harry Potter book to come out. (I'm one of them.)

So go for it! If you think others might make fun of you for reading a book supposedly for teenagers, just don't carry it around with you.

Source(s): Retired English professor who also worked for a time as a librarian.
  • ?

Dangerous Days: The Autobiography of a Photojournalist, and its sequel, Blades: The Autobiography of a Rescue-Helicopter Pilot, both by J. William Turner. Very realistic fiction about teens overcoming several tense, dramatic, life and death situations set in Australia, England and California. The plot of each novel is written as a collection of four related shorter books (about 100 pages per book) inside a single cover dealing with teenage, adult and social themes. More info in Google and turneramazon.com

• Mystic

Young adults aren't teen aimed. If you go to a bookstore you will find a section that says "teens". I'm in my 20's and I read some of those books like the vampire academy series. I highly recommend the harry potter series if you are new to reading. My brother hasn't been reading in quite a while, since high school actually. I gave him my books to read (he's 30) and he is absolutely enjoying them.

Hi Stan - I grew up reading Sherlock Holmes in my early teens, and still enjoy reading those tales many years later. I think it's just all a matter of what a person prefers to read. The guideline I use on these kind of questions is a quote I made for a philosophy class in college:

If it sounds good, it's music

If it looks good, it's art

If it reads well; it's literature

And beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Source(s): I hope this helps!

I find that there are many books in YA genre that can just as easily fit into the appropriate adult genre. They are interesting and intriguing without the overt sexual themes and abject violence found in those aimed just at adults.

The Hunger Games is a great book go for it.

I think so. A good read is a good read. I absolutely love hunger games i am hooked! I would recommend you read it! It is a bit graphic, but keeps you wating to read more. Also, when your done with the book you can check out "Catching Fire" or "MockingJay" which are two more books to the series.

Read Hunger games!!

• Mel

My friends mom actually read the Hunger Games first, and recommended it to her daughter, who recommended it to me. So with that being said, I'm sure you aren't too old for it.

Another series you might like would be 'The Mortal Instruments Series' by Cassandra Clare. The first book is called 'City of Bones'. I actually e-mailed the author about something irrelevant to this question, and she told me that she has fans of all ages. She also said that she has one fan that she keeps in touch with that is 81 years old.