yes
yes asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Is this blurb attractive enough to make someone open the book?

I rewrote the blurb a couple of times yesterday. Do you think it is attractive enough to make someone want to open the book and see what is in it, if they find it in a book store? Thanks for all answers in advance! If you have any comments or tips on improving it, they are welcome as well!

Title:

Nirvana: Absolute Freedom

Genre: non-fiction / new age/ spirituality

Back cover blurb:

Everyone loves freedom and fulfillment, but few seem to have it. Even those that seem to have it, are afraid of losing it and are unsure of what the future holds.

When you question and challenge traditionally held views, you discover that to realize true and lasting freedom, you don't need to be super rich, lucky or powerful; nor do you need to strive endlessly and compete with others; nor do you need to wait for an after-life in anticipation of some reward for good behavior.

In Nirvana, you learn about a much simpler but effective way to reconnect with your true Self and rediscover the forgotten treasure that lay buried deep within you. Once you learn to tap into this inner treasure, you begin to experience a state of freedom from thought, freedom from dependence, freedom from suffering; a state so deeply fulfilling that no objective experience can even come close. Thus commences our journey to absolute freedom, Nirvana.

Would this be a better first sentence "Everyone loves freedom and fulfillment, but why do only few seem to have it?"

Favorite Answer

To be blunt, it needs some work.

There are two main goals to a blurb. To give information regarding the subject matter of the book, and to hook the reader.

Congratulations, you have successfully completed the first goal! From reading your blurb, I've gathered that your book is about striving for (and reaching) Nirvana.

When it comes to the second goal, your blurb is a tad bit lacking. The ideas behind what you're saying are good, but your wording is just a little bit awkward. As the reader, I found myself stumbling through the blurb, having to read it twice to fully understand it.

Instead of the first sentence you provided, I would say:

Everyone is constantly searching for freedom and fulfillment in their lives, but few seem to reach it. Even those who do feel fulfilled are afraid of losing that feeling and are unsure of what their futures hold.

Even with that sentence, you're going down a slippery slope. It's always a gamble to use words like 'everyone'. It's always safer to say most people, or something to that extent. If someone who is completely fulfilled and happy picks up your book and reads that, they will put it down and say 'hah, not me, that author is completely wrong'. You know what I mean?

This is how I would edit your first paragraph:

To realize true and lasting freedom, you must question and challenge traditionally held views. To attain fulfillment, you do not need to be endlessly rich, lucky, or powerful. You do not need to constantly compete with others around you. You do not need to wait for an after-life in anticipation of soem reward for good behavior.

This is how I would edit your last paragraph:

In Nirvana, you will learn a simple yet effective way to reconnect with your true Self. You will rediscover the forgotten treasure that lies buried deep within you. Once you learn to tap into this inner treasure, you will begin to experience a state of freedom from thought, freedom from dependence, freedom from suffering; a state so deeply fulfilling that no objective experience can even come close. Thus commences our journey to absolute freedom, Nirvana.

Overall, you did an excellent job. If you just read my comments and thought "this chick is soo wrong, my original was wayyy better", then go with your gut please disregard this entire message.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your book!

I definitely think youre first sentance should be "Everyone loves freedom and fulfillment, but why do only few seem to have it?" That sounds interesting and would make me want to read on because it makes you feel as though youre about to read something really good that explores the answer to that question. It also sounds sort of mysterious. I really like the last paragraph and the last sentance which says "Thus commences our journey to absolute freedom, Nirvana." That sounds really great! I quite liked the first paragraph but like i said, i think you should change the first sentance to the "Everyone loves freedom and fulfillment, but why do only few seem to have it?". If im honest, i didnt really like the middle paragraph as much. But i liked the overall idea of it and what it was trying to say. If you could just change a few words to make it sound less confusing and more accesable to the readers, that would be great. However, overall i really liked this piece of writing. Thankyou very much for answering my question on film and book reviewing. I hope my answer helped you as yours did for me! :)

A blurb is supposed to hook the reader by either giving away basic information or give some sort of mystery that makes the reader open the book to look inside, and i think you did a good job with the former but be careful you dnt give away too much!

You should give away just enough info to let your reader know the contents but small enough to make the reader want to look inside to find out more. Try asking a rhetorical question that connects with the reader.

I think it's pretty good. On a scale of 1-10 I give it an 8. Maybe use a better hook?

Nup. You should rewrite it and think of what attracts people. Right now you're just rambling about something that has an excitement factor of zero and it doesn't even mention any unique or stand-out qualities.

• HanKat

From 1-10? 7.5. OK, but too much writing and not enough interesting facts/questions.

• Niblib

If I'm not mistaken, Non-Fiction books don't have blurbs.

• not my kind of book but the first sentence seems fine.

answer mine?: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?%E2%80%A6

good like it

hook them in, don't give away too much. sounds great.