Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 9 years ago

Why should I, an English speaking American, have to "Press 1 for English?"?

This is getting aggravating ! Do you agree or disagree, and why ?

Update:

@ Lian: I wasn't alluding to the world languages. I am talking about right here in the good ole U.S.A. If I moved to a foreign speaking country, I would learn the indigenous language and not expect them to conform for my pleasure.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I AGREE... here in the USA, a businesses primary phone auto-operator should function in English, and a non-English speaker should have to select their language !! OR, they should publish out to those non-English speakers a different number that routes to a system in their language.

I worked for a telecommunications firm (CLEC) and rigged up such a system for a Breast Cancer Support program... in 12 different languages !! So we had 12 toll-free numbers routing into the system, and then routing to various trained counselors of the correct language !!

I understand Lian's "grumpiness" to an extent... I had to learn Tagalog / Bisayan to live in my wife's country with comfort; German as a teen while I lived there; Russian, Korean, Farsi & Arabic while I was in the Navy.

• 9 years ago

Well the United States of America has not declared a language for the country. So it is very neccesary to have all of that. But I do think that we should finally make English our language considering a big percentage of the U.S. uses English.

• 9 years ago

Because we as english speaking americans must cater to all the illegals that are in this country so they can phone in there welfare n food stamps, you know, the stuff we provide when we go to work,they no speaky english

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Learn another language, then press 2.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

because english is not the only language- was not the first, and will not be the last.

and because the world doesn't revolve around us american's, contrary to what many of us believe.

EDIT: btw, english still isn't the most popular language. mandarin and spanish are ahead by aprox. 518,234,000 billion speakers. dumb*ss.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.