Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 9 years ago

Why should I, an English speaking American, have to "Press 1 for English?"?

This is getting aggravating ! Do you agree or disagree, and why ?

@ Lian: I wasn't alluding to the world languages. I am talking about right here in the good ole U.S.A. If I moved to a foreign speaking country, I would learn the indigenous language and not expect them to conform for my pleasure.

Favorite Answer

I AGREE... here in the USA, a businesses primary phone auto-operator should function in English, and a non-English speaker should have to select their language !! OR, they should publish out to those non-English speakers a different number that routes to a system in their language.

I worked for a telecommunications firm (CLEC) and rigged up such a system for a Breast Cancer Support program... in 12 different languages !! So we had 12 toll-free numbers routing into the system, and then routing to various trained counselors of the correct language !!

I understand Lian's "grumpiness" to an extent... I had to learn Tagalog / Bisayan to live in my wife's country with comfort; German as a teen while I lived there; Russian, Korean, Farsi & Arabic while I was in the Navy.

Well the United States of America has not declared a language for the country. So it is very neccesary to have all of that. But I do think that we should finally make English our language considering a big percentage of the U.S. uses English.

Because we as english speaking americans must cater to all the illegals that are in this country so they can phone in there welfare n food stamps, you know, the stuff we provide when we go to work,they no speaky english

Learn another language, then press 2.

because english is not the only language- was not the first, and will not be the last.

and because the world doesn't revolve around us american's, contrary to what many of us believe.

EDIT: btw, english still isn't the most popular language. mandarin and spanish are ahead by aprox. 518,234,000 billion speakers. dumb*ss.