Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 9 years ago

What do you think of the healthcare system in your country?

I am hoping to hear from folks outside the US.

Favorite Answer

It has its problems, its not brilliant, it certainly cannot compare to some of the treatments you can get in private hospitals - BUT

The NHS was built on the foundation and belief that everyone is deserving of the same treatment, no matter how rich they are, their race, colour, creed, or religion. You deserve to be treated for your illness, injury etc just as much as anyone else does.

Oh its not perfect - but its built on that one solid belief that everyone should be entitled to free health care. Whether you are a citizen of the country, a member of the European Union OR a a tourist from abroad.

A few years ago in America, I broke my leg after falling down a flight of stairs. I was picked up by the ambulance, taken to hospital - and the first thing they wanted off me before they gave me ANY treatment was my credit card number. I had travel insurance so I got my money back - but I couldn't believe I got asked for my credit card before I had any treatment.

And I'm not entirely sure where that is stated in the Hippocratic Oath... 'taketh the credit card number of thy patient...'

In the UK - that would never happen.

UK.

We have the NHS. It is not perfect. But let me tell you, I would take the NHS any day of the week compared to the nightmare on offer in the US. I married a US citizen, an lived in the states for a few years. I liked a lot of things about the US, except the health care system. That alone was a major reason we moved back to the UK. In the US we had really GREAT insurance. 90/10, 250 deductible. Yet if we had stayed in the US we would have had to file bankruptcy. Between me getting sick and needing 2 major surgeries back to back, spending months in the hospital, and my husband developing a long term serious chronic illness...we were drowning. We would have to wait months to get into a specialist. A week or more to get in to see our GP if we were sick. If you got sick on the weekend you either had to go to the ER (which would cost thousands) or wait it out an pray you got better. Kids get no dental care. It is just disgusting. I love the NHS and will defend it with my last dying breath.

I'm in the UK, over here we have the NHS (as you in the U.S probably know by now), which is government run and funded. I am very grateful that I live in this country, and can make use of the NHS;

My mother has just been diagnosed with cancer and will begin a course of chemotherapy treatment in a few day's time. We don't have to think about the financial implications, instead we can focus all our energy into getting my mum better.

Yes, the system has it's faults, I won't deny it. But the benefits outweigh the faults by far.

I love the NHS.

I'm from the UK and I have to say, I love the NHS.

Sure if sometimes makes mistakes and is very keen on getting you out ASAP due too the popularity, but isn't that a case of funding? I don't understand why we are cutting the budget with the NHS here, it's more of Cameron's LETS SELL OF EVERYTHING TO PRIVATE COMPANIES!

I have to say without the NHS I'd have died several years ago, and if by some miracle I did survive my appendix and kidney infected and blood poisoning my family would never be able to afford the medical bills.

I don't know where we'd be without it.

I....like the guy above live in the UK. We have a government now that is trying to destroy the NHS. It is right wing of course. I have heard talk from the states of people comparing universal health care as communism. How retarded can a person with that kind of mentality be. Your health should be a natural right in any civilised nation. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs the mental health looked at.

it doesnt work well, im in britain (scotland)

it is one of the best things we have in this country, but, the way its being run is messing it up

eveyrone i know has has had problems with it, not just all the wee silly things like missing appointments ,that happens, but how they are treated and viewd, how they are listened to, or not as the case usualyl is

its all about money, and that shows inhow they act with you, how they treat you

the problem as with everything ive found to be pretty much beuracracy

The gov't says it helps everyone, but it doesn't. It puts us more at debt and it takes from the rich. They [the Dems] put in certain things that don't cover everyone and that cost money. This is exacly why the GOP is taking it apart, one piece at a time.

well sorry im in the US and its bloated, things that should be cheap are expensive because everything is privatized and in the end people only care about money, their is no morals in business.

The P M of Britain just told them their health care was 2nd rate they gave him hell so it now 2nd place

They don't promote health, they cure disease. That's my problem with it.

"let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates