Is the Americans with Disabilities Act a joke?

I think this legislation is a sham and a joke. I don't think a disabled person can really get justice in this country. I think they are discriminated against in the workplace left and right, and have no real recourse through the courts.

Have you ever heard of someone fired or discriminated against at work who was able to get justice through the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)? Or is it a big joke on the disabled, giving everyone a sense that there is fairness and justice where there is none?

Favorite Answer

No the ADA is not a joke in any way shape or form. It is a flawed act, recently partially remedied.

I know at least a dozen people who have sought justice through Title 1 of the ADA (the employment portion) and got justice. I know countless people who have sought justice via the other acts and gotten justice. I have testified at 5 hearings where the people with disabilities seeking justice have won, and I have been or am currently a part of 7 mediations where things did not yet have to go to court. I personally am seeking justice against a hotel for lacking ADA accommodations and it is winding through the process.

The major flaw of the ADA is that there is no enforcement of it unless a person or organization files a complaint. There is no office of enforcement that proactively looks for ADA violations. Unless someone complains there is no reason an ADA violation cannot continue.

The other flaw - now in the process of change - is that there has been no specific recognition of anyone's expertise in the ADA. So anyone (including me) can claim expertise in the ADA and there really is no one who can say otherwise. A program is just beginning that is a 40 credit program in ADA law begun by an ADA & IT Center. It is a nationally recognized certification. It will take most people 2 years to fulfill all the requirements, so there will be no certified ADA Experts for another 2 years.

The sad part of the ADA is that most people with disabilities do not know their rights under it. More often than not, all I need to do is to contact an organization out of compliance with the law, bring to their attention the exact portion of the law they are violating and they take action steps to correct the problem. (Often too slowly in my opinion, but it happens.)

No. The ADA is not a joke. Significant progress has been made in many areas. See this NCD report from 2007, for example. http://www.ncd.gov/newsroom/publications/2007/ada_... Clearly there is a long way to go--especially in increasing the numbers of people with disabilities who are employed; but, it's wrong to say the ADA hasn't had a significant impact on community access and participation by people with disabilities.

I think there is a lot of things going on in the workplace that most Americans can do little about these days because there are so few jobs!

I know I'm put off by the fact that they don't list Mental Retardation as a disability. Mental Retardation is a real disability/diagnosis and those indivisuals really need the protection, possibly moreso than some of the others they claim to cover.

I don't think it not a joke at all about this.

• In one sense the ADA is not a joke because the ADA gave the PWD Community "Handicapped Parking Spaces".

But in another sense the ADA is a joke which is why the ADAAA was passed into federal law in order to strengthen the ADA.

Source(s): *Both me and my only child are SSA Registered-Certified-Recognized Disabled PWDs.* I am also a Registered-Certified-Recognized Member of the Ectodermal Dysplasias International Registry.* I am also a Registered-Certified-Recognized Member of the National Foundation of Ectodermal Dysplasias* --- *I am proud to be a "Gimp", a "Crip", a "Cripple", a "Capper", a "Wheelie", a "Wheeler", a "Freak ", and a "PWD Freak"!* --- *AFO WC PMD PHPSSP RCRMEDIR RCRMNFED MLRCRD SSA PD-PWD*---*PWDRHIP*---*Wowasakeikcupi! * Creator-Originator of the phrases of - Pulling PWD Rank - PWD Insiders Language - Person With Disabilities Rank Has Its Privileges - PWDRHIP.*