Drexl
Drexl asked in Computers & InternetInternetGoogle · 10 years ago

Why does google.com have "ig?hl=en" after it?

My browser never showed this before, but recently google has began to show "ig?hl=en" after it.

If I go to www.google.com

it now says "www.google.com/ig?hl=en" in the browser.

I had a virus recently that screwed up my whole computer and now that I'm back on I'm seeing this extension. Just wondering why it's there now.

Favorite Answer

google.com/ig means you're using iGoogle. Instead of the regular search engine, it opens a page with little weather, news and other applets that you can customize to your Google account.

hl=en means that the language = English.

It's not a virus. It's just a different way to use the Google search engine. You can set your browser settings to go to only www.google.com/ if the odd page is coming from your favorites or home page.

no virus the ig stands for igoogle you can setup a personal home page the ?hl just means you havent set it up yet and the =en just means it is in english to solve this.

firefox go to tools, options, general, and enter www.google.com and hit ok

internet explorer go to tools, internet options, and under address put www.google.com and hit ok

Oh, it's just iGoogle. To fix it, click on "Classic Home" At the top right of the screen. That ought to fix it.

Www.google.ig