ChiSox asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

What would a romantic egotist believe?

I am writing an AP English paper on F. Scott Fitzgerald, and in his book 'This Side of Paradise' the main character is described as a romantic egotist. I just wanted to learn about what exactly this means. In other words, how would a romantic egotist view life?

If you could list your sources, that would be great.

Favorite Answer

An egotist can view life as anyone else, but he thinks he is its center. And since I never read Fitzgerald, I don't know if you mean 'romantic' as in love, or 'Romantic' as in the philosophy. A Romanticist cannot be an egotist; they are contradictory, but he can be an egoist. You say the character is 'described' as an egotist. Many people get the two terms confused, and possibly the person who 'described' the character actually meant 'egoist'.

An egoist does NOT see the world revolving around his character; but he does see himself as the one person responsible for what his world is and is to become. In other words, an egotist wants others to play by his rules; an egoist wants to be left alone to do what he needs to do to live in a rational world of his own making and would never expect others to play by his rules.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What would a romantic egotist believe?

If you could list your...

Source(s): romantic egotist believe: https://biturl.im/32Hfu
  • .

Hm... I'm going to make a guess because it seems interesting to. I would say some one who thinks they are so beautiful, perfect, and better than anyone else that they should always be the desire and center of attention of the opposite sex, in a romantic and passionate manner.

Like a narcissist who thinks "I'm so beautiful and perfect, how can you NOT love/want me?!"

Btw:

Romantic = A person concerned with romance and love

Egotist = A self-centered and conceited person

Define Egotism

I think this refers to a person who is so self-centered, that his passions cloud his thinking. This is true regardless of how formidable the obstacles or how illogical his quest. I'm not familiar with "This Side of Paradise," but your description of the main character sounds like Gatsby in Fitzgerald's "Great Gatsby." Ultimately, Gatsby meets his doom because of his blind love for Daisy.

drinks are on you sex is on him