Can a bad TPS be responsible for my Honda to just cut off and die?

The car runs great and has a strong engine... Until the RPMs will drop and the car will totally die off. I bought a TPS and am waiting for it to come in the mail... But the more I think about it, can a TPS be resposible for a car to completely shut off? Or would that be an other sensor? I know it's a sensor, but not sure which one it is

Also, if I got a diagnostic done on the car, will they be able to tell me specifically which sensor it is? Even if the check engine light is not on?

Favorite Answer

TPS usually will not make the car die. A diagnostic test will check to see if all sensors are operating in their specified range. Normally a bad sensor will turn on the check engine light though. I have heard the Auto Zone will run a diagnostic check for free.

Sounds more like a fuel problem, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter? FYI, A plugged or dirty fuel filter can hurt the fuel pump.

A TPS on a foreign car is more for the transmission shift points and I highly doubt it is your problem.

You don't have a clue what you are doing so you don't know it's a sensor, bad gas. a bad fuel pump, or a bad crankshaft sensor which will cause an intermittent stall or no run condition.

Scanning a vehicle for codes is just a tool that points a mechanic in the right direction when diagnosing a problem, it does not tell you what to replace! A mechanic will read the engine data to see if all the sensors and solenoids are working properly. Have a qualified master mechanic repair your car before you spend more money guessing and replace the vehicle one item at a time!!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Check engine light is not on? Weird, but I would suspect that it could cause the engine to shut down if the RPM dropped too low, causing the oil pressure to drop as well. A diagnostic on your honda will tell you everything, if you get it done at honda, and get a copy of the report. That is going to run you between 80-120 dollars, but usually it is free, if you pay a dealer to do the repairs.

For shutting off the engine, I would suspect the Throttle body itself though. Sometimes it gets gummed up from the EGR system and needs a good cleaning. That's what I would do, while waiting on your TPS in the mail, and replace the EGR Valve and other tune up parts.

A diagnostic test should have been done first at a Honda dealership before throwing parts at it! They could have told you exactly what the cause is for the car quitting.

I hate to be a kill-joy but a throttle position sensor wouldn't make a motor die like it was shot as you drive down the road. A TPS controls idle speed. It sounds more like a crankshaft position sensor.

I don't know how clever you are but you could figure an ignition problem out yourself. Hook an inductive timing light up to any spark plug wire. Hook the hot red wire to the light to any hot 12 volt source. Ground the black wire. Ride down the road with the timing light in your lap with your finger on the trigger. If the timing light goes out when the car quits, you know it's an ignition problem.

Source(s): Alignment, suspension and brake shop.
  • Evil C

The TPS might not be to blame, and it could be another sensor, or not. You could have a fuel problem. or perhaps your idle air control valve or butterfly valves are dirty and they need to be sprayed out with carbuerator cleaner.