Can I collect unemployment if I was fired?

I WAS a pizza delivery driver for over two years, up until last night, when I couldn't go to work due to my car making a LOUD, HORRIBLE sound. I was scared to drive it until I had a mechanic look at it, and I have a receipt for where he fixed it. But then this morning, my boss had the manager call me and... show more I WAS a pizza delivery driver for over two years, up until last night, when I couldn't go to work due to my car making a LOUD, HORRIBLE sound. I was scared to drive it until I had a mechanic look at it, and I have a receipt for where he fixed it.

But then this morning, my boss had the manager call me and tell me I was fired for not coming to work.

I have called in in the past when my child was sick, but I always had a doctor's excuse for being out, and it wasn't a consistent thing. I only called out of work for legitimate reasons and I was never written up or reprimanded for it.

BUT...it has been no secret that my boss doesn't like me, and hasn't for quite some time now. I really don't know why, but I've noticed that he talks to women like they're stupid.

ANYWAY...I overheard him asking the manager one night, if he lowered my hours to one night per week if I would quit. I was also told by another employee that he thought I was "just an old country girl" and that "It sure would be nice to get her down to just one night per week. I wonder if I lower her hours if she'll quit?" Several other drivers have made the comment to me, that he picks on me a lot, so it's become very noticeable to others as well.

Anyway, back to my question...

I'm trying not to freak out, but I get extremely depressed when I don't have a job. Also, I really liked that job, aside from my jerky boss. So my question is....

Can I collect unemployment even though I was fired for not coming in?

I'm sure (being the type of person he is...he's so tight, he squeaks when he walks!) that he will try to get out of paying it. And if so, how can I fight back?

I really feel like I was unjustly fired. I don't know what he expected me to do with a broke down car...deliver the pizzas on my back???

Please someone, give me a glimmer of hope. I'm really scared and depressed now, but I'll feel better if I can at least collect unemployment until I can find another (and hopefully BETTER) job!

Thanks for your answers, and please don't be mean...I feel bad enough already! :(
Update: To the people that say I didn't call in...I DID CALL IN!!! 3 HOURS IN ADVANCE, and I live in Georgia.
Update 2: wow hotwheels...you're kinda touchy huh? I didn't give you the thumbs down. geez.