Can I use the same character name or book title as another novel?

1. Can I use the same distinctive name as another author's character? 2. Can I use the same book title as another author? I'm guessing the answer to #2 is yes, but I'm not sure about #1 and less sure about both factors combined. I want to use the same character name(and probably book title as... show more 1. Can I use the same distinctive name as another author's character? 2. Can I use the same book title as another author?

I'm guessing the answer to #2 is yes, but I'm not sure about #1 and less sure about both factors combined.

I want to use the same character name(and probably book title as well...that's less important) as William Gibson's "Count Zero". I've never read it, and my story is a different genre than Sci Fi or Cyberpunk. More of a modern urban fantasy. Although, my character does use "Count Zero" as an alternate name/pseudonym/username/etc.

As some characters and even writers do. Particularly when interacting within/outside of a certain community.
Update: Damon: Oh yes, to be clear, it is not the same character at all. Just the name/title.

to others: it's sort of like you write a character who chooses to go by "Tom Sawyer" or "Huck Finn" when using an online handle, or within a secret-ish group.
Update 2: Okay, so it's not really important to use the same BOOK title..it just seemed to me that was the obvious choice. But I'm more concerned with the character title than the book's title. In this situation, anyway.