Were there some kind of requirement for running a boarding school in Madison county, Ms. in the 1850 to 1900?

In 1850 to 1900 did the state of Mississippi require License to run a boarding school and were they Integrated

Favorite Answer

I don't know if a license was required, but I wouldn't have thought so. I imagine anyone could set up a private boarding school if they wanted to. I would think it very, very unlikely that anyone in Mississippi would try and make a boarding school integrated. Even in the north, there was hostility towards the idea of integrated schools (Prudence Crandall of Connecticut ran into terrible trouble when she tried to admit black students to her girsl boarding school in the 1830s). In Mississippi, I should think there would have been outrage at the idea of an integrated boarding school.