How do you calculate the molar mass of Hemoglobin?

Hemoglobin is the protein that transports oxygen in mammals. Hemoglobin is 0.347% Fe by mass, and each hemoglobin molecule contains four iron atoms. Calculate the molar mass of hemoglobin.

I'm not really sure what to do with this question. If i wanted to calculate the molar mass of hemoglobin wouldn't I have to know what else it is made up of beside Fe? Thanks for any help.

Best Answer

55.845 *4 = 0.347/100 of total mass

total mass = 55.845*4*100/0.347

based on the other reply - I will complete the math that I assumed you could do.

64,375 AMU

now let's quote from Wiki:

Hemoglobin (also spelled haemoglobin and abbreviated Hb or Hgb) is the .... Each subunit has a molecular weight of about 17000 daltons

17,000 AMU *4 = 68,000 so I think my approach is validated

Source(s): Soc
  • pax

Molar Mass Of Hemoglobin

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm not really sure what to do with this question. If i wanted to calculate the molar mass of...

Source(s): calculate molar mass hemoglobin: https://tr.im/rB69t

hi there. the question really says it all the mass of hemoglobin is 0.347% of four Fe atoms. hemoglobin contains 4 Fe atoms so basically 55.85 atomic mass of Fe x 4 = 223.4 a.m.u

so its 0.347 % of 223.4 will give us the molar mass of haemoglobin.

so lets do this:

223.4 a.m.u times by 100 divide by 0.347 =

223.4 x 100 / 0.347 = 64380 m (molar mass)

hope this helps.

Source(s): a special scientist to admire & learn from lol