promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Relay to control 110v light?

i am trying to control my lights with a 12v switch. Is their a relay that can handle 200watts at 110v ac but will latch in both the open and closed position and the coil will switch using 12v dc.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Need more information:

Latching relays with 12v coils are available.

HOWEVER: We have dual-coil latching relays available

We have bistable latching relays available

The difference is: The first type has a 3-wire coil: momentarily energize 1&2 to latch

: momentarily energize 2&3 to unlatch

The second type has a 2-wire coil: momentarily energize it once to close, a second time to open

What is your choice? They are in the $15-$20 range, with the first type usually a couple bucks less.

Please advise...I'll get you a part number so that you can order direct

Source(s): Newark Electronics catalog
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Relay to control 110v light?

i am trying to control my lights with a 12v switch. Is their a relay that can handle 200watts at 110v ac but will latch in both the open and closed position and the coil will switch using 12v dc.

Source(s): relay control 110v light: https://shortly.im/3Lrxy
  • 9 years ago

You need neither a latching relay or contactor, if you intend to leave the relay energized in the "ON" position. Simply use a single pole relay with a normally open (in the energized position) contact,or the normally open terminal of a double pole relay. Most relays are rated at for at least 5 amperes, unless you use an electronic duty relay, and your light draws less than 2 amps.

Relays are available with 12 VDC coils. Try Radio Shack.

Source(s): Retired EE
  • pals
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

110v Relay

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Most 12 volts DC relay can do. Just read its contact current rate at least 3 amperes as what you required. All relay comes with NO and NC contacts and some even has six or more sets of contact. You could parallel the contacts to increase the current rate.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yep, what your looking for is a contactor, its basicaly a relay but can handle more current. I know they make 24vdc, I'm pretty sure you can fine 12 though.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It can be done with contactor with 12V coil and simple DOL circuit.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.