Is my tremor an essential tremor?

Years ago my physician told me I had a 'familial tremor'. I was just bored and decided to look it up and came upon this info on wikipedia; Essential tremor generally presents as a rhythmic tremor (4–12 Hz) that is present only when the affected muscle is exerting effort (in other words, it is not present at rest)

Mine seems to be quite the opposite. I can perform motion with accuracy (i am quite good at magic even) but my hands shake when I instead try to keep them still. Even stranger, the more I try to concentrate and stop the shaking the worse it gets.

It hasn't really affected my life but I understand it can get worse as you age. I just hope it's not parkinsons or something even worse. Any ideas? was I misdiagnosed?

Favorite Answer

I have essential tremor and I've done a lot of research on the net. From what I know you're correct, ET shows itself when people are doing something with their hands like holding a spoon or a cup, but not hands at rest. Parkinson's disease is, as you say, the opposite but based on one small detail like this nobody IMO can make a diagnosis that you have Parkinson's disease. Check out YouTube with words like Parkinson's Disease, Pill Rolling tremor, and Essential Tremor. This might help you. Familial Tremor and Essential Tremor seem to be used interchangeably though in my case I don't know of any family history of ET. One problem is that nobody seems to know exactly what ET is. If you don't have a problem with it and you only wanted some background, I'd say you're lucky. ET frequently (but doesn't always) get worse with time and while there are meds to subdue the effect there's no way of getting rid of it permanently.

Source(s): Personal research

I work for the International Essential Tremor Foundation. Essential Tremor (ET) is an action tremor. If your tremor only activates while at rest, it is most likely you do not have ET.

Our suggestion is to see a neurologist who specializes in movement disorders for a second opinion. There are more than 14 different types of tremor and only a trained neurologist can make the proper diagnosis and offer treatment options.

Good luck to you. Let us know if we can be of any help to you.

Source(s): www.essentialtremor.org
  • Diane

my dad too has or had essential tremor.. it was to the point that he would have to wear a bib when he ate..and mom would have to help him sign is name..dad had triple bypass and was on so many medicines that the doctors couldn`t say for sure what made his tremors weaken.. but i think i do remember mirapex was one of the drugs.. he did not have Parkinson's..it`s worth a try (the mirapex) what can it hurt ask the doc.. again..