Emery asked in HealthWomen's Health · 10 years ago

Im 17 and on Birth control, but Ive never had sex- do I need a pap smear/pelvic exam?

Im 17 and a virgin. Im on birth control tho to keep my periods regular and help with bad cramps. My question is do I really need a pap smear or pelvic exam

• P H
    Favorite Answer

No. The American Cancer Society recommends it for women 21 and older, or 3 years after starting sexual activity, whichever comes first. However the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends it only for women 21 and over, regardless of sexual history. This is because pap changes in adolescent women usually go away by themselves and the additional tests and treatment for abnormal pap tests can do more harm than good in this age group. Even after they do start doing pap tests, the newer recommendations are to do them every 2-3 years in most women, not every year.

Doing tests unnecessarily CAN cause harm. False positive tests lead to more invasive procedures which in some cases can cause permanent damage. There is no question that the pap test is a useful screening test for cervical cancer, but if overused it can cause problems. The chance of getting cervical cancer as an adolescent is very, very small, and pap tests do not test for the kind of cancers that are made worse by estrogen (breast cancer and endometrial cancer which are also unheard of in adolescents).

Yes you do because the hormones in the pill can cause some cancers to grow like wildfire. Since it is important to know that information prior to prescribing the pill, a pap smear and exam is necessary.

You should have one soon as a base line exam and to check for any abnormalities before you become sexually active. After that I am not sure how often or how young they recommend annual rechecks but it is no big deal and it is one of the best anti cancer screening tests there is in terms of finding potential problems early.

yes you need a pap smear. and they more then likely wont refill you birthcontrol if you dont get one and its not to see if your a virgin they could care less. Its to see if everything is okay down there so you dont get a infection and not know it and end up not being able to have babies stuff like that trust me there for you own good. you need them.

You don't need one right now. Usually it is said get one after you first started having sex or when you turn 21, which ever comes first. However it can NEVER hurt to get one. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Unfortunately yes you still have to. I was a virgin when I first got on birth control, I guess they want to make sure you're not lying? hahaha

• UN

No need to do anything. avoid pills. If you are virgin, there is no need not required to do anything. But avoid sex without precaution.

if you choose not to have one at all that is up to you. just make sure you get one when you become sexual active.