Should I use Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast?

I'm a PC Gamer and I LIKE to download a crap load of games once in a while. My ant-virus, Trend Micro, recently expired and I'm in need of a new anti-virus. I know of 2 FREE anti-virueses. Should I go with Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast? Or stick with Trend Micro? BTW my laptop is a Toshiba Satelite L505D-GS6000.

Update:

INCLUDE A REASON LOL!!!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

If i had a choice would use Microsoft Security Essentials thats what i have on my desktop. People swear on nortons, Avg, Mc Afee. What blows about these manufactures is that there out to make money. So naturally they want you to buy the next years release. What people dont know is that when you dont buy the upgrade these sercurity programs will actually release/attract malware, trojans ,viruses, and worms. I would encourage you not to be sucked in to buying an antivirus which cant protect your pc anymore then a free antivirus program can. I am a part computer repair tech and its the same story time after time. I really encourage you to go with MSE. Avast is ok. but MSE is what you want.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Industry Top Antivirus Software : http://MoveAntiVirus.com/?OPWy
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

If you want to go for a paid version, I suggest ESET Smart Security. Go to www.eset.com.It is license based - dont have to keep paying for new versions. You will be prompted to update to new versions as they become available. Very low profile (ie not targeted like McAffee, Symantec etc), very compact program - doesnt tie up system resources.

• 9 years ago

Microsoft Security Essentials is only free when you use Windows licenses, because once installed, it will scan to see your license is valid or not. avast is also free but equally powerful

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

You should use Avast. MSE is just for basick protection. If you don't like Avast, then you can try Avira. It's also free http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Avast

Reason being that it works very well. I've used it for 1-2 years with no problems

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

dont know about mse but avast its not that good lately its miss'ss some virus try avira very good and it doesn't hog your resources..

• 9 years ago

MSE all the way if your too cheap to buy antivirus it stays up to date, but if you do buy go for Norton 360

• 9 years ago

I've been using MSE for a year and it's been ok.

no infection, no nothing.

• 9 years ago

avast, better detection rate.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.