Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 10 years ago

Where can I buy an owl?

I am a huge fan of Harry Potter and I always loved Hedwig. It is just so cute and I was wondering...Is there a way to actually but an out in real life? I always wanted one ever since I read Harry Potter. I understand that it won't really send mails and stuff but I just want one. I also understand that they are night animals. I know they used real owls for the making of the movie because these owls in the movies can't possibly be computer generated. I live in NYC (U.S). Please tell me where I can buy them from if I can. Please don't say stupid things like Diagon Alley or any rude answers because I really don't want useless answers that no body cares about so don't even bother doing it. Thanks in advance.

• gail
    Favorite Answer

Get in touch w your states Department of Natural Resources (DNR). You will be able to look on their website for regulations on falconry. Becoming a falconer is the only way to legally obtain & keep an owl or other birds of prey in the USA. You have to be an apprentice w a licensed falconer in good standing for 2 (possibly more) years. You have to pass tests by your states DNR. Also, you're required to get a permit from the US Fish & Wildlife service. The state/federal agencies also come around to inspect your mews (owl housing), it must meet certain standards but you learn this during your apprenticeship.

After obtaining your license you have to work your way up to holding an owl. You don't actually "own" these birds. Your permit give you permission to "hold" it as long as you meet standards. I assume you are aware that owls have very splatty poop? They have to be fed food that will become full of maggots rather quickly so be prepared to clean that up. As an apprentice falconer you'll learn all this and more. It can be expensive but if you are dedicated to putting the time in I understand it can be a very rewarding endeavor.

Hope this was the kind of info you were looking for. You'll notice that whatever hapless animal is featured in popular books or movies, everyone thinks they'll be great/fun/neat/easy pets. Not. But check NY state DNR site.

Source(s): acquainted w falconers

Domesticated Owls For Sale

You can't just buy an owl as a pet.

All native species of birds in the USA are protected under the rules of The Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

Owls don't make good pets and keeping one for any reason, other than rehabilitation, would be cruel as well as illegal. If the fact that it is illegal doesn't deter you from wanting to own an owl, here's some disgusting facts. You have to provide live food for them...what they don't eat, you need to remove...so prepare yourself for picking up parts and pieces of rodents or whatever the small animal de jour is. Owl poo is very loose & nasty. They also barf up parts of what they eat.

If you still think you need an owl, you need to check into what steps you need to take to become a licensed falconer. It's not an overnight thing..takes time, effort and money.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Where can I buy an owl?

I am a huge fan of Harry Potter and I always loved Hedwig. It is just so cute and I was wondering...Is there a way to actually but an out in real life? I always wanted one ever since I read Harry Potter. I understand that it won't really send mails and stuff but I just want one. I also...

Source(s): buy owl: https://shortly.im/97K3q

It is against the law to have an owl as a pet. They don't sell owls in the states. They are predatory birds and should not be kept as a pet because you could get seriously injured. Although, i have seen owls at exotic pet stores and bird stores in Korea and Japan!

Source(s): Experience

It is against Federal and State law to have an owl in your possession.

If you move to England you may have one there and they sell them in shops.

This is meant to protect raptors of whom thousands have been killed by owners who fed them beef and other meat from stores. They must eat whole wild animals.

I too love owls.

don't get a baby owl i hear owls held in captivity will never stop trying to attack you not sure if its for adult owls though

easy go to

owl store

It would be cruel to keep an owl in captivity, especially if it is just because you think they are "cute". Get a hamster.

I think most places have owlery's but it may be illegal. Google where u live and owlery and see what comes up

Source(s): Owls are frigging cool