Why doesn't my food cook right on my non-stick pan?

I got a new pan as a gift, and have only used it twice... once to make pancakes, once to make a quesadilla. Both times, the batter/tortilla would not cook right! The pancakes took 10 minutes on one side for it to be flippable, yet they were nowhere near the golden-brown they ought to have been. Similar situation with the quesadilla-- the food inside cooked OK, but no browning.

I used a thin coat of vegetable oil and cooked on medium to high heat both times...started out on medium and then went up to high because I thought maybe the oil was too cool. Any thoughts or advice?

Update:

I dunno, my mom's teflon coated pans always seem to do just fine with cooking pancakes and quesadillas, and with making grilled sandwiches...they get nice and toasty...

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Try heating the pan on medium for 4 to 5 minutes;

Put a small amount of butter or oil enough to get the bottom wet so that it will not stick.

Always heat your pans first before cooking.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Non-stick pans aren't meant to brown things really. The more non stick they are, the less they will brown. That's why there is the new michael symon commercial that is all "wow a nonstick pan that browns"

My thoughts would be to cook what you want browned in a different pan. Use the non stick for things like eggs.

• 9 years ago

try heating the pan first then add oil

or do what I did, buy a cast iron pan ( the original non stick pans) are the best

use your non stick for eggs omelette's frittata

• 9 years ago

more like non-cook pan!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.