Why doesn't my food cook right on my non-stick pan?

I got a new pan as a gift, and have only used it twice... once to make pancakes, once to make a quesadilla. Both times, the batter/tortilla would not cook right! The pancakes took 10 minutes on one side for it to be flippable, yet they were nowhere near the golden-brown they ought to have been. Similar situation... show more I got a new pan as a gift, and have only used it twice... once to make pancakes, once to make a quesadilla. Both times, the batter/tortilla would not cook right! The pancakes took 10 minutes on one side for it to be flippable, yet they were nowhere near the golden-brown they ought to have been. Similar situation with the quesadilla-- the food inside cooked OK, but no browning.

I used a thin coat of vegetable oil and cooked on medium to high heat both times...started out on medium and then went up to high because I thought maybe the oil was too cool. Any thoughts or advice?
Update: I dunno, my mom's teflon coated pans always seem to do just fine with cooking pancakes and quesadillas, and with making grilled sandwiches...they get nice and toasty...